Transformerless amp, 1:1 isolation xformer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transformerless amp, 1:1 isolation xformer

A pal of mine (harp player) has a Alamo amp with no PT (35W4, 50C5, 12AU6), now in the US a 1:1 isolation transformer would be recommended. As he is using a 240VAC-120VAC transformer, doesn't this effectively do the same job in isolating him from the mains?

Yes, it does. The ratio is different, but the effect is the same. Wouldn't be a bad idea to add a mains fuse as well.

Comment

Be careful and make sure that it is indeed an isolation transformer. Some step-down transformers do not provide mains isolation (so-called "auto-transformers).

Comment

I am with Albert here, MANY step down transformers are auto-transformers - single winding with tap - and provide ZERO isolation.

If a 230/115transformer is in fact a primary and secondary type transformer with no connectiion between the two, then yes it provides isolation.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

yeah, third the motion (to be sure what kind of trafo for safety's sake). A lot (seems to have to do with economy--cheaper, less heavy being the benefits) are single winding (i.e. no isolation).

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
            X