Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to clean vintage Fender amp dirty grill coth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to clean vintage Fender amp dirty grill coth?

Any tips on how to clean a 1960's blackface Fender's dirty grill colth?

The amp is in excellent condition (no grill tears, tolex is perfect, no faceplate scratches, all original including filter & bypass caps, it functions perfectly & it sounds excellent). The amp was apparently never transported and for years was kept in a dusty location in a church. The cloth has clear signs of dust build up (not nicotene stain) and it looks like it would wash out.

My plan is to pull the baffle, remove the speaker and then clean the cloth. But I am not sure what cleaner be safe and not damage the coth. Any experiences, good or bad will help me.

Thanks

If it is only years of dust, a shop vac with a soft paint brush will usually do the trick. If it needs to be wet cleaned, I find that auto upholstery cleaner (the kind that foams up) with a wet sponge will get most things off.

Worst case, I've taken the baffle to a car wash with a spray wand and really hosed it down. Shake off as much water afterwards and then blow with a fan to dry. Don't let the particle board stay wet for too long or you will have problems with swelling.

Comment

maybe compressed air would help, being careful to not hit it too hard if you've got really high air pressure.
      ~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Comment

Working...
      X