No announcement yet.

1961 Capitol Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first impression was of a Kay 720 amp I had years ago same parts p-t-p + split chassis layout. Diablo you've got a way cool piece, thanks for sharing the pics!

Comment

Cool amp...but don't get discouraged by the sound with those C12R's...IMHO they kind of suck!

No bass, no highs...just muted mids...and not very efficient. I tried them in several amps with the same result, just didn't work out well.

Comment

You're right they're not very efficient speakers, but there are two of them so the amp is plenty loud. The speakers actually sound very good with this amp because they have a very nice early breakup with smooth distortion. I tested a lot of speakers in comparison too, and I still like the C12Rs.

Comment

Good to hear. I recently built a new extension cab for a head I'm building, and I had a few choice C12R's at my disposal to try out in it. They were a letdown for me in that cab powered by a champ, and was really hoping for them to work out, since they were in such great shape too! I also recently used a C12R in a Marshall class 5 I modded. It was a bit better match for that amp, but still fell short of the mark.

I'm always looking for stuff on CL, you must have snagged that one before I saw it!

Comment

Yeah this was a local buy on Craigslist in Chicago. I keep reading these stories about folks buying vintage amps for $10 at a garage sale. I don't do garage sales.......yet, but maybe I should start.

Comment

I have two hifi amps that use 7591s, both Eico brand- and they're both excellent. One is class A cathode biased, the other is AB fixed bias. Difference is 20WPC vs 35WPC, and each sounds very different. 7591s are great tubes- but they're very expensive. NOS Westinghouse is the preferred replacement for them in the hifi world. If you happen to have a good testing set of closely matched Westinghouse tubes there- you might consider saving or selling them. JJ's and EH are more reasonably priced, and sound pretty good- should you find you need to replace them at some point. Some of the most revered hifi amps used the 7591, including the benchmark larger Fisher receivers- and they're coveted. Strange to see a guitar amp using them. I have an old Bogen CHB-100 that uses 7868s, which is a 7591 in a different bottle. It uses a quad of them for 100W (probably at about 80% distortion). It'll be interesting to see how it sounds. Nice score. If those are Westinghouse 7591s, you have already made your money back.

Comment

Two of the tubes are Westinghouse and two are Sylvania. I bought a quad of EH tubes and found they bias quite a bit hotter than the vintage tubes, and they break up a lot earlier. If I wanted to run the EH, I'd probably sub in new cathode bias resistors. Hopefully, they would have about the same headrooom then as the vintage tubes do now. I spent more on the quad of EH tubes ($80) than I did on the amp.

Comment

Some Ampegs use 7591s as well (eg, GU-12). I agree that they sound nice.

Comment

Working...
                  X