Gibson Invader GA-30RVT Crestline Power Transmission Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson Invader GA-30RVT Crestline Power Transmission Help

I've got an old Gibson GA-30rvt. I got it for kind of cheap knowing that it was broken. (Blowing fuses) I suspected it might have been a bad power tranny and my tech confirmed that it was...

I know that I want to fix it. I've played the epiphone version of this amp before and the only reason I sold it was because it was so huge. (4x10 cabinet) but now I've got it as a cool 12 and 10 inch speaker combo.

Mercury Magnetics has a power transformer for this amp but its 185 bucks. Yikes! That is a lot to spend on an old Gibson that no body wants except for me.

My question is, what goes into finding the right power transformer for my amp? I know it has to do with voltages and ohms but isn't there a cheaper power transformer out there with similar specs?

The schematic is linked to below.

any help I can get would be awesome.

http://www.0rigami.com/gg/ga-30rvt_invader.jpg
    Attached Files

BMX,
    That schematic calls for a 315-0-315 PT with a 6.3VAC filament and no 5V filament (ss rectified) and no bias tap (it is fixed bias but it takes the tap off the high voltage secondary.)

The other consideration besides voltage is current. Both the high voltage and the low voltage (filament) secondaries will have to provide enough currrent, and the schem you have does not specifiy. For filament current you could add up from the tube spec sheets what your reqirements are. The high voltage current would be the sum of what all of the tubes draw.

Here's one from the other end of the spectrum that is certainly priced right. Not sure if the 100mA covers you, but from a voltage standpoint it looks good.
    PT325.2 from Musical Power Supplies, Inc

Good luck,

RWood

Comment

Working...
    X