No announcement yet.

Fender champion 600 reissue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man I am having a hard time deciding between 8" and 10" for the cab im building. I THINK 8" would be good but I just cant decide. I want that full sound so it wont sound like a little box and actually have some bass but I dont want it to sound like the speaker is drowning everything out. I am going to be using the amp for practice and recording purposes so I am just not sure what would be the best. Ideas?
    Happiness. Only real when shared.

Comment

Champs with 8" speakers have been popular recording & practice amps for over 5 decades, you have a wider choice of 4ohm 8" speakers than 10" 4ohm, or 12" 4ohm.

For a given voice coil, larger speakers are often slightly more efficient, but bass specifically will relate to an individual speaker's frequency response, there's no reason why "a 10" speaker" will have more bass than "an 8" speaker"...it will depend on the design of the specific speaker in question.

Champs are small amps with little power supplies, bass (specifically) is typically not their forte.
      Last edited by MWJB; 02-24-2011, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Okay I was going to build a cab, but I am considering saving the time/money. I found a vox v110 cab for $50 used and it has a 10" celecstion in it. I was thinking about buying the cab and seeing how the speaker sounds, and if I dont like it selling it for $30 and getting a weber to put in the cab. The cab is rated at 16 ohms, but the champion 600 has 4 ohm output. Is there anyway I can run these together? will it hurt it? I will evenually probably just get the weber and order a 10" in 4 ohms, but for the time being is there anything I could do?
        Happiness. Only real when shared.

Comment

I have one. Replaced the stock speaker with a drop in 6" Jensen. Huge improvement right there. Also dropped in some decent tubes and it does pretty good.
          I really want to do the tone mod, but haven't jumped in yet. It's on the darker side for a Fender.
          Mine has a bit of a noisy transformer, but not too bad.

Overall, a decent little amp for short cash.

EG

Comment

Working...
          X