Replacement speaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement speaker?

Hey everyone Im looking to replace a 6" 8ohm speaker on my vintage guitar amp but im having trouble finding a decent guitar speaker weber jensen.etc.... that is 8ohms there all 4ohm. I would really like to install a 8" or 10" but im a afraid that will hurt the collector value of the amp is this true?

More info would help. For starters, WHAT AMP? Some models have an easily removable grill/baffle that allow you to retrofit a larger speaker without permanently modding anything. Another solution is to use another cabinet and rig a speaker line off your amp, which should be pretty painless.
    Don't believe everything you think. Beware of Rottweiler. Search engines are free.

Comment

The amp is a japanese tempo. Basically a harmony h303 has about 3 watts output. And I think it does have a removable grill so I guess I could fab another one.

Comment

I want to say that Jensen Mod 6" comes in 8 ohms.

Try AES:

Antique Electronic Supply

Search for:

P-A-MOD6-15-8

Have you considered making an 8" baffle? You could keep your orginal baffle for sake of "orginality". If you have a grill cloth that is close to orginal you can make a new baffle out of plywood, paint it, etc. It just depends on the size of the box.

Comment

Good reply Bill as always. I didn't see the 8ohm on jensen's website that's why I posted. Now the question is should i build a new baffle for a 8" or 10" or should i stick with the 6" anyone have any experience with the MOD 6"? the amp is loud enough but the speaker sound a little "cardboardish" and Id like to get some more bass response from it.

Comment

Pair of Vintage Fisher 6" Retro Instrument Speakers | eBay

Check these out. The price looked reasonable. I've gotten some decent vintage speakers on ebay. There are others there. I just typed 6" vintage speakers. There were also some Jensens.

As far as 8" go. they most likely will have better bass. I built a mini half stack with 2-8" celestions and 2-8" telefunkens and it is bassier than any of my cabinets. I run a 5 watt champ type build into it and it sounds great. It actually sounds great for bass guitar too.
            Last edited by Danelectron; 05-17-2011, 09:05 PM. Reason: 8"' speaker comment

Comment

Danelectron,

Thats awesome I used to have a guitar research mini 4x8 cab and it played awesome as well and it was easy to haul around. I would like to build a 2x10 combo and just put the amp in there

Comment

Yep, they are very easy to haul around and the Celestions are rated at 75 watts and I don't know about the Telefunkens, but I've played a 20 watt amp into it pretty cranked and it handles it fine. I was amazed at the boom out of it. What did you think of the link? Were you looking for something newer?

Comment

Working...
                X