Date a SF Princeton Reverb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Date a SF Princeton Reverb

Just got one and am confused. The serial number's been completely filed off, and the tube chart on the inside of the cab is gone too. All the POTs are new, but the PT, OT, and choke look original with a date code of 606-3-xx. In reading I found that could mean either 1963 or 1973. The Fender Field Guide says 1964 is when they were introduced. Elsewhere I found Silver Faces didn't appear till around 1968ish. Does anyone have a handle on this amp's timeline? It's beginning to look more likely that it's a 1973-1974 model, not late 60's like I was told. The speaker has been replaced, so that's no help. It does not have the trim around the grill clothe, I think that points to 1969 or later.

Whatever it is, it's a great little amp with a mysterious history.

Hmm… suspicious amp.
    With the S/N filed off, it must have been stolen at one time or sold through a shady store that was not a Fender authorized dealer. (I have known of stores that got their new merchandise on the black market and then hid the trail by removing the serial numbers. How they still found buyers is beyond me)
    The Fender Field Guide must have a typo or you misread it. There were no SF amps in 1964. Your guess that it is a '73 or '74 a good bet.

ALL the pots are new. That’s strange.
    Tube chart missing. There was no date coding on the SF amp tube charts anyway.

Comment

Yep, I guessed it was stolen at some point too.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Working...
      X