Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

looking for a good quality valve/tube amp for telecaster & p-90 style guitar...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
    Not sure of the technical definition... Headroom is basically how far up on the volume control it stays "clean." My Bassman 100 (a Twin Reverb without the effects) has a lot more headroom than my Bassman, and my Reverberocket 2 (20W) has way more headroom than either one of them. My Bassman will break up around 4 if you whack it pretty hard and eases into Neil Young tone from there. My Bassman 100 will break up around 7, and keep going into a bigger version of the Bassman; "Working Man" was rumored to be a Twin Reverb on 10, and I know it's POSSIBLE... The Reverberocket (designed for Jazz, basically) distorts at around 7 also, and it's pretty nasty when it's all the way up. I could mod it, but I want to leave that one alone. I'll probably sell it shortly, for another Bassman...

Hope that helps,
    Justin
    Thanks Justin, I know what you mean now.
    Bassman's (Bassmen?) Are a good buy, I reckon. I've been looking at Bandmaster and Showman heads, too. Whatever I buy I'll need something like a Hotplate, anyway. Cab's would be great to mess with - you can get old ten inch and twelve inch drivers from all sorts of places - goodmans, celestion - whatever, I imagine.
    Ampegs (like your Reverberocket) are worth investigating - some are quite pricey though, probably because of the Stones connection.
    I may go for a Selmer for now though, money is tight.
    Ever used a Sunn? Pretty uncommon in the UK, and insanely loud, but I'm half tempted because the quality is good - rugged, dark, good reverb - pretty fair prices too. Not exactly subtle though.

Comment

FWIW, I agree with Justin. I think the SF Bassman is the sleeper of the vintage market. Even BF Bassmen can be had for decent money. I went crazy on them a few years ago and currently own four BF and a couple SF Bassmen.

My favorite mod is a hybrid AA864 preamp and the AB165 power section, but as long as it's an AA864 or AB165 circuit it will sound great.

Comment

you might check out the 33 watt amp from a German company called Realtone Amps. I don't know the price but it's making a hit with lots of my friends when they tour over there. A lot like an old AC30 but with modern features and less headaches. Let me know if you find out the price. Best wishes....

Comment

Working...
        X