No announcement yet.

any 60's ampeg experts out there? (G15)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any 60's ampeg experts out there? (G15)

just purchased a gemini 2.
    still has the original 7591's. i'm trying to pinpoint the date on this one; maybe someone can help:
    black tolex w/ 70's style grille cloth
    gold, plastic trim surrounding speaker caninet.
    plastic "ampeg" in left corner of grille. (not in center of cabinet, like others i have seen.)
    round knobs
    large black, vinyl covered handle, that is shaped like the old leather ones.
    altec/lansing # 391 012 (1970?)
    #068632 stamped on face
    also has a pot, (maybe it was a knob, but its broken off), on the back. wonder what that was for.
    needs re tube.
    this is probably my 5th old ampeg, definatly my 2nd gemini, but the only one i've had that was black.
    i sold my old gemini, and reverberockets; because i couldnt find 7591's.
    i'm pleased to see they are available again; and this is why i bought another ampeg.
    i'm from south jersey. when i was growing up every guitar playin kid around here had a hand me down ampeg from there dad.exept me. i had a solid state pa head, tha sounded like shit. i was always jealous. no one wanted those ampegs(it was the early 80's). but they couldnt sell dads amp to me.
    now, i buy every one i see.

http://users.aol.com/bluemuse/ampeg.html Try this link,he's got lots of info on Ampeg.

Comment

I usually start looking at the date codes on the controls, transformers, and large caps. When you know when the parts were made, you can close in on the date.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Frock,

Once you get settled on a date I've got an original 1970s Ampeg service manual binder and would be more than willing to provide parts advice if needed.

Rob

Comment

Working...
        X