Champ 25SE Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champ 25SE Noise

I replaced the channel 1 volume pot in a friends Champ 25SE and the amp seems noisy to me. (I know - I should have tried it out before I made the repair so I could compare). I assumed it would be quieter than my '65 Deluxe Reverb (original) but it's not. The "noise" seems to cycle somewhat even without an instrument plugged in. I've swapped around the main tubes in case the bias was different but that made no difference. Perhaps it was this noisy when I got it for repair but if there are any suggestions to reduce it I'd appreciate hearing.
    Thanks.

Hum? Buzz? Hiss? Crackle? Wooshing? Noisy can mean a lot of things. As long as you grounded the new pot correctly there should be nothing about what you did that would make the amp noisier. That doesn't mean nothing's wrong. But we need to know more about the problem to help. First, what is the nature of the noise? What does it sound like? Then, is the noise affected by any of the controls? If so, which ones? Does the noise go away when you pull the first preamp tube? If not, the second?
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Thanks Chuck! I'm embarrased to say that the "noise" isn't from the Champ. It's from my Strat with D.Allen pickups! I'll have to now figure out what's up with the guitar.

Comment

Working...
      X