Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender cap questions -6G12A

Hi everyone,

I have a Concert here with a homemade cap pan. Nothing against DIY, but I would like to get a more period-correct one for this guy. Has anyone tried either of these, and would they fit over a Sprague Atom recap? The big ones are the 100uF/350V. Just wondering if anyone's used either before I buy one?

Mojo Cap Pans » Large Cap Pan for Twin, Super, etc. (Mounts on 7 1/16'' x 3 1/2'' Centers)

Mojo Cap Pans » Alternate Large Cap Pan for Twin, Super, etc. (Mounts on 7 1/16'' x 3 1/2'' Centers)

I also had some questions about the signal caps. It's got mostly Orange drops, 3 Mallorys, and the ceramic discs seem to be original, but there are a few maroonish-brown ones shaped like ODs but flatter, stamped with a dot-matrix printer:
    "F104K a
    630MPP1"

I'm guessing those are not original! What might have come in this piggy? I know all about Fender using whatever was on hand and that there is a range of possibilities. Otherwise this is a really nice amp, and it's had a few good upgrades. It sounds nice so I'm not going to change out parts; I'm more just curious.

As an afterthought, is it polite to put the names of two people who carved their names in it on the web? We tried Googling them... too many hits to pursue, and not enough time.

Thanks for any insight!

Justin
    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

I'm not one of those guys that can tell you what caps were in specific amp vintages. But there are posters here that can. Maybe someone will pop in with that.

I wouldn't name names for amp carvers. It's almost certainly just some guy that owned the amp. You should carve your name in it too. Then, whenever the amp isn't yours anymore, the next guy might also. Sort of a vintage amp chain letter.

Atoms typically fit under the stock Fender "dog house".
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Hey Chuck,

Thanks for the heads up. I've gotten the 450V ones and they don't fit, so I wanted to check first. As far as the name carving of vintage amps, it doesn't bother me too much. I have a feeling it was done a long time ago, before this amp was appreciated for what it is now. One guy put his SSN in my Bassman 50, and it's got the dealer sticker. That poor amp came from ND to VA, and somewhere along the way got turned into a "Marshall," but sounded like a cross between a Rat pedal and a Mosquito-fuzz. So it's being re-Fendered. I'm just always curious to know my amps'
      stories.

Justin
      "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
      "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
      "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

When I was gigging I had three Marshall 50W JMP's. This was before I started making my own amps and I found that even two old amps wasn't enough to be sure one was always working!!! All were bought well used and two of them had owner information inside written in marker. Clearly an anti theft thing. "Hey, that's my amp!" "No it isn't. It's some other Marshall." "Yeah, well my name is inside. How could that be if it's not mine... Thief."
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
        X