Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kent 3 tube Vintage practice tube amp/ HELP ME IDENTIFY!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RitzRed View Post
    try this let me know if you need more pics or different ones[ATTACH=CONFIG]20730[/ATTACH]
    Of all your pics, the first one back in post #12 is the clearest to my eyes, and to me it looks like pin 1 has a .015uf cap going to input and 4.7M resistor going to common, and pin 2 goes to common, and pin 7 has cap (blue one) and what I presume to be anode resistor, 3 and 4 we can ignore because that is heater string, 5 and 6 are the diodes and they aren't used. Looks like what I would expect for 12 av6. I am also a little perplexed why you would assume the people who gave you the amp made a mistake? Where did they get the tube from? Isn't the most likely expectation that they pulled the tube from the amp when they packed it for shipping? Why would you assume the tube does not go with the amp?

In the final analysis it is up to you. Personally, I would not buy a different tube - I would buy new filter caps and see if that doesn't fix the hum.

These 160V CE ones look the part, big, red, with leads attached... or you could just get radial or axial types.

Capacitor - Electrolytic, 47/80 µF @ 160 VDC | Antique Electronic Supply LLC

Comment

are you talking about the big orange paper tube if so this one has 3 different ratings it says 60 MFD 150W.V. 40MFD 150 W.V. 20 MFD 25 W.V. will this one you mentioned work in it,s place

Comment

are you talking about the big orange paper tube if so this one has 3 different ratings it says 60 MFD 150W.V. 40MFD 150 W.V. 20 MFD 25 W.V. will this one you mentioned work in it,s place
        I don't know of one that includes a 25 volt section. But that is the cathode bypass for the power tube , you can an inexpensive and small 25 or 50 v and put it across the 50c5 power resistor just wrap and solder the ends , make sure it doesn't touch the resistor let it have some air.

Comment

do you know where I can find one just like the one that is in it now?and a isolator to make it more safe

Comment

do you know where I can find one just like the one that is in it now?and a isolator to make it more safe
            Well they do have this one, its 33uf, 47uf-160V and and 22-25V. It should work fine.

Capacitor - Electrolytic, 33 µF @ 160 VDC, 47µF @ 160 VDC, 22 µF @ 25 VDC | Antique Electronic Supply LLC

As to the transformer, try mouser....

N-68X Triad Magnetics | Mouser

I looked at tubesandmore, and I didnt see the Triad, but they have a 90VA number that costs 4 times as much...overkill for your needs, but I'm sure very nice.

Transformer - Hammond, Line Isolation, 90 VA | Antique Electronic Supply LLC

How's the schematic looking?

Comment

Ok I just ordered the capacitor and a new 3 wire power supply from the guys you mentioned you know I really appreciate all the help you all have given me on this project I am new to all this stuff amps internet and all I have about 40 guitars most of them are not high end but I have improved allot of them better pickups pots and caps some I have even painted . So if ever any of you needs a good deal on a guitar let me know what you want I may just have it thanks again for all the help and advice

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	little amps 001.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	2.58 MB
ID:	827305

Comment

I finally got a answer back from the folks I bought the kent amp from they sent me a picture of the tubes in the amp before they removed them. so as you are looking at the amp from the back the tubes were from left to right 12AV6 the middle tube is35W4 and the tube to the right is a 50C5 so it is different than a few have suggested now the amp is quiet no buzz but the amp still does not work?? I am still waiting for the capacitor I ordered (paper tube with wires coming out) I am about to just send it into a amp tec to be fixed because I don,t even know how or what to test,maybe I should have the tubes tested first.

Comment

Did the amp work for the folks who sent it to you?

Comment

Originally posted by JHow View Post
                      Did the amp work for the folks who sent it to you?
                      Not if the tubes were in the positions that they seem to think they were in. JHow has it right.

This amp has a number of problems and can be fixed, but you need to focus on finding the problems first and not be distracted by mods and isolation transformers. Make the amp work like it was designed to work and then add a three wire cord and an isolation transformer.

Be careful when working on this or any amp that plugs into the wall outlet, as they can kill you. These line powered amps or "widow makers" are especially dangerous because they can in some cases put the chassis in direct connection to the hot ac line. Sort of like sticking a fork into the wall outlet.

If the amp was buzzing then the first guess would be that the filter caps are bad. I would start by taking a good filter cap with the right voltage rating and I'd clip it in the circuit across the original one that is in there. If the buzz got quieter then I'd know that the caps need to be replaced. If the buzz didn't get any better, I'd look for other reasons for the noise.

In reviewing some of the photos, it looks like the volume control and the input circuits may have been altered. If someone else has been working on this before you, there may be a few more surprises in your troubleshooting.

Comment

no I bought it as is

Comment

I wanted to do the mod,s to make the amp safe! but I am going to do some studying first I have a book coming that should have the schematics for this amp and allot more info I need before I continue. Once I know how the different components work together I will have a better idea of how to fix this amp the book I ordered is Electric Guitar Amp Handbook I am told it has most of what I need to know in it. I do appreciate all the advice and help you all have given, I will get back on here once I have the book and have read it and also tried using what I learn from it Thanks again

Comment

Well I used this placement of the tubes and replaced the multi cap And guess what it works fine whoooo hoooo thanks for the help this amp is not very loud but some one told me to use pedals with it and it would add some volume so I guess the next thing is to get a overdrive pedal but THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP !!!!!!!!

Comment

Well I used this placement of the tubes and replaced the multi cap And guess what it works fine whoooo hoooo thanks for the help this amp is not very loud but some one told me to use pedals with it and it would add some volume so I guess the next thing is to get a overdrive pedal but THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP !!!!!!!!
                              Glad you got it working. Let us know if you try the isolation transformer.

Comment

I am just waiting for it to get here is there any thing I can do to this amp to make it louder without too much trouble? I can,t get it to distort as it is

Comment

Working...
                                X