5E3 based clone - 6v6s to 6L6s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5E3 based clone - 6v6s to 6L6s

Hi I'm trying to get a bit more umph and volume out of my 5E3 clone.

It's a standard 5E3 circuit but the transformers are rated at 25w, leading me to believe that I might be able to drive 6L6s.

The PT is rated at:

330v @ 80mA. 6.3v @ 3A heater 5V @ 2.5

OT has a PI of 8500 ohms with 4, 8 & 16 ohm taps.

I have a RCA 5V4GT rectifier in and the tubes (6V6s and 6L6s) are Russian military.

I'm reading plate voltages of ~ 360v on the tubes.

I have 2 questions

1. do I plug the current 8ohm speaker into the 4ohm or 16ohm OT socket to get the best out of the 6L6s - (I can never remember which way round)

2. What's the optimim biasing for this set-up in terms of cathode resistor and dissipation wattage to get the best out of the 6L6s without putting the PT at risk? - I know there isn't enough current to drive them hard, but maybe enough to get a little step up in performance from the 6V6s?

My first impression is the 80ma rating.
    You won't be able to drive the 6L6's very hard with that limit.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
      My first impression is the 80ma rating.
      You won't be able to drive the 6L6's very hard with that limit.
      You'll need a power transformer with at least a 120ma rating to run 6L6s in cathode bias with that topology.
      Vintage 6L6 tweed amps with cathode biasing used a PT with at least a 160ma rating.
      Using the right power transformer, it's higher current available and the right B+ voltage, the bias voltage (however you derive it) should let the 6L6 tubes idle around 18-21 watts each for vintage tweed 6L6 amps.
      You need at least a 10 watt 250 to 300 ohm resistor.
      I don't think your 80ma power tranny is going to give "that" to you... and still have enough B+ to run the power tube very hard.
      You'd run your 8 ohm load on a 16 ohm tap.

What you could do is build a little fixed negative voltage bias supply, use a GZ34/5AR4 or a solid state rectifier and run the 6L6s in fixed bias idling around 12-15 watts each... your PT might be able to run them at reduced power output.... or a few watts over your 6V6s.
      Bruce

Mission Amps
      Denver, CO. 80022
      www.missionamps.com
      303-955-2412

Comment

Working...
      X