Silvertone 1482 Volume pot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silvertone 1482 Volume pot

I have what I believe to be a 1963 Silvertone 1482 in great shape. However my volume pot needs replacing.
    I've tried Caig contact cleaner with no luck. I have contacted "Amplified Parts.com" and they do not know which pot I need. Here's a link to their "Amp pots" page. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Cheers!

Below is a link to "Amplified Parts.com" website

Search | Amplified Parts

I think they are all standard audio taper, 1 meg pots.
    Standard is a bit of a misnomer though.... some vendors are calling log pots audio pots... some vintage pots have a 10% taper, some are 20% and the most common these days seems to be around 15% taper... which means with the pot set to half way, 15% of the resistance is on one side and 85% on the other side, with respect to the center lug, called the wiper.

Seriously though, for that amp, don't spend more the a couple bucks for a 1 meg audio taper pot....
    Last edited by Bruce / Mission Amps; 02-21-2013, 04:38 PM. Reason: added comment
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

I'm with Bruce here, 99% of all 1 meg volume pots will be audio taper. You can always test the pot taper with your ohmmeter.

One thing to check before you order is to see if there is any dc voltage on the pot causing the noise. If the coupling cap gets leaky it will cause this problem.

Comment

The key here Jeff is what the guys above just said. Just get a 1 meg audio taper or log taper pot and stick it in there.

Don't go looking for "volume control for SIlvertone 1482" you won't find that. But pots are pots.

Pots comke in shapes and sizes. I imagine your old control sits in a 3/8" hole on the panel. so look for a pot with a standard 3/8" bushing. The shafts come in typesw too. If your knob has a set screw, the pot probably had a plain smooth round shaft. Other knobs are push-on types. and the pot shaft might be split down the middle and have knurled ridges. All these are common, so find a control of the same size and shape and shaft type.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

IS this called the twin twelve
          I took one apart and have all the parts

Comment

Working...
          X