Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with identifying an AC30 chassis (clone)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with identifying an AC30 chassis (clone)

I have been using the forum as a great source for information for a while and just registered to ask the experts some help with identifying a AC30 like chassis I bought for 10 Euro in a “used products” shop here in the Netherlands. I’m not familiar with the AC30 and I bought it primarily because it is full with Telefunken tubes. At home I googled a couple of minutes and realized it must be a chassis from a AC30 or a clone. On the faceplate it says “Top Sound” instead of ‘Top Boost” and there is a boost control instead of a cut control. No manufacturer indication.

Some pictures:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8227_zps224df767.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	867770

Name:	DSCF8228_zpsaa9e2821.jpg
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	867771

Name:	DSCF8231_zpsc5beadb4.jpg
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	867772

Name:	DSCF8222_zps4377ea76.jpg
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	867773

Name:	DSCF8221_zpsee69c72e.jpg
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	867774

Name:	DSCF8233_zps02042a89.jpg
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	867775

Name:	DSCF8234_zpsc2d05f1c.jpg
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	867776

It has 2 diodes for rectification (hidden at the back of the power amp tag board). I think this is original, the hole in the chassis for the rectifier tube looks unused.
    Voltages are (very) high, B+ 361V, Anode-Cathode 350V, Cathode resistor 11 V (56 Ohm), Screen 365 V. At power up B+ is 450V (no stand by switch), when the tubes start conducting it drops to 361V. I think the filter caps have already been replaced, I replaced the bypass cap in the power amp and a 10K /2W resister in the pre amp section that looked roasted. Treble and boost control had a mechanical problem but now the amp works fine, very warm sound and very loud.

Anyone who knows something about this amp? Manufacturer, year, quality etc?

Ian.

That looks like a pretty faithful reproduction of an early 70s AC30

There are rumours of AC30s made in Italy by EKO between 1969 and 1971.

Those smoothing caps are german-made Elkos.

I'm pretty sure there is nothing about them at Jim Elyea's book about Vox. He used to hang out at vintageamps.com. He might be the man to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted View Post
      That looks like a pretty faithful reproduction of an early 70s AC30

There are rumours of AC30s made in Italy by EKO between 1969 and 1971.

Those smoothing caps are german-made Elkos.

I'm pretty sure there is nothing about them at Jim Elyea's book about Vox. He used to hang out at vintageamps.com. He might be the man to ask.
      Ted, thanks for your sugestion I will check vintageamps.com. Eko guitars and amps were sold in the Netherlands in the sixties/seventies so there's a possibility. It seems Eko made guitars for Vox and sold Vox amps in Italy.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by IDS View Post
        .....I will check vintageamps.com. .....
        Yes - You should do so.
        For what it's worth after that long time - here is the answer: It's a Roy NC60 - see also Vintage Amps Bulletin Board ? View topic - 1. Help with identifying an AC30 chassis (clone)

Comment

Last edited by epis; 01-02-2015, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X