Alamo Capri speaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alamo Capri speaker

Does anyone with an Alamo Capri know whether the original speaker had a paper dustcap or a cloth screen dustcap?

I'm reconing one that was badly reconed.

Here is pic from one of your posts in November.

It looks like cloth.

Click image for larger version

Name:	25513d1380937493-img_3420.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	973.1 KB
ID:	832065

Comment

That's not the original. It's a recone. I don't have Alzheimers yet.

Comment

I've seen your other ictures:
        The VC is definitely wrong, try to get a paper form one (or Nomex worst case), same winding length as the plate thickness or 1 mm longer, but no more, use the lightest thinnest cone you can find and glue it with nitro lacquer.
        I buy the quart can of "transparent base", which is meant to add an envelope of coloured paste to turn it into car paint proper, which I never add, and leave it in the sun , open, for a couple days (stirring now and then) until it reduces by 30/40% and becomes thicker, not as much as honey but definitely much thicker than the "watery" consistence it has when just opened.
        After reconing, let it rest in some quiet place for as long as you can, still with the centering shims on, 2 weeks is not too long, so it has *fully* hardened and cone/suspension have become "used" to that position.
        This guarantees a long life afterwards and it stands ambient humidity changes better.

As far as the dustcap, if it's thin/light and glued with light nitro glue, it won't add appreciable mass so any material will sound about the same, be it thin paper, cloth , or a simple felt disk, á la Jensen.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
        X