Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson GA 50T

Hello
    I'm new to the forum and know virtually nothing about restoring vintage amps. I have a Gibson GA 50T amp that needs work and appears to have had the power transformer replaced with a PT that looks nothing like the original (based on photos that I have see). I wish to have the amp restored by a professional but I would like to have the PT in it replaced with something that looks and functions like an original PT. Are PTs that would have been in the amp still available?

That amp was manufactured between 1948 & 1955.

But they did not make that many of them.

Because of the rarity, the chances of someone remanufacturing that specific power transformer are slim.
    (let alone making one that 'looks' like the old one.)

So off the shelf it is.

Comment

Indeed. If it's any consolation the Hammond 260/270 power transformers are readily available and look quite similar to the GA50T images I just looked at. They're available in many voltages and secondary configurations. Almost certain that one will be really close to the stock spec for that amp.
      Hammond Mfg. - "Classic" Power Transformer - (263-282 Series)
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

If it is a pristine and valuable collectors piece, do some research on what other amps used the same PT. Then look for a doner chassis on eBay. Even if it is bad you could have it rewound. Could take a while to find one but at least you have something that works until then. If you are just being OCD, it probably isn't worth the obsession.lol

Comment

Working...
        X