Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert Ampeg reverberocket 2 from 110v to 240v

Hi

I need to convert my reverberocket 2 to 240v (Australian power)

Can you tell me if the reverberocket 2's have a universal power transformer that can be rewired to 240v or will it need to be replaced?

Thanks in advance

The original Reverbrocket 2's did not have universal power transformers.
    If, however, you have a Re-Issue version of the amp then it may have a universal power transformer fitted. Attached is a copy of the schematic diagram for the re-issue version that shows three different possible power transformers. If you have the skills to interpret the diagram and look inside your amp then you will be able to determine if you have the universal PT.
    Cheers,
    Tom
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Tom

Thanks for your reply.

My Reverberocket 2 is a GS-12-R from around '66, (spk code 137 626) so not a reissue

My understanding is that it is about 18-20 w. is this correct?
      Do you know what wattage step-down transformer I would need to get?

Thanks for your help

Marcel

Comment

Hi Marcel,

It's very cool that you have a vintage model. Yes, it puts out ~20 Watts. Since I don't know the history of your amp and how it made its way to Australia, it would be a good idea to look inside and see if the power transformer has a universal primary even though it isn't shown on the schematic. There are lots of undocumented configurations of these old amps.

If you do decide to go with a step down transformer then I'd recommend a 100VA rated transformer.

Cheers,
        Tom

Comment

Re wiring for 240V

Originally posted by mrzdb View Post
          Hi Tom

Thanks for your reply.

My Reverberocket 2 is a GS-12-R from around '66, (spk code 137 626) so not a reissue

My understanding is that it is about 18-20 w. is this correct?
          Do you know what wattage step-down transformer I would need to get?

Thanks for your help

Marcel
          Hi, if you know how to trace wiring, check out the wiring coming into the amp from the power cord. This usually goes to the mains (power) transformer via the power switch and a fuse. I have come across a number of amplifiers which don't state that they are 120-240V compatible, but can be rewired to work on both voltages. Rather than having a tap on the primary winding there are two seperate primary windings which can be either connected in series for 240V or connected in parallel for 120V operation. If you can trace the wiring and find the two seperate windings then please advise and I can then provide further details, however if you are not comfortable with this procedure then it may be more simple to buy a step down transformer of about a 2 Amp rating but ascertain that it is a isolating transformer rather than just a auto transformer. Cheers and good luck, Mickey

Comment

Hi Mickey

Thanks for the info. very helpful.

Cheers

Marcel

Comment

Just grab a step down tranny - they will be handy if you get other Amps from the US.
              Search Results - Altronics

The M8182 would do, it is A$75
              BUT
              If you can find the extra cash I would recommend the M8185 at A$129. Itv is 250VA rated and is meachanically a more robust package.

If you are happy to buy on-line then there are some seriously cheap options like this one:
              Buy Cheap 500W 240v to 110v Stepdown Transformer with Fuse Protector - Black | Stepdown Transformer | Power Tools | Tools Online @ Real Smart

And - on the slight chance that you are in Adelaide and could pick up from my place - I could lend you a step down transformer. I have a few including a monster job I use to service a friends 400W 115V AC ONLY Fender Bass Amp (if so PM me or Landline Phone 8269-3539).

Cheers,
              Ian
              Last edited by Gingertube; 11-04-2014, 02:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X