62 vibrolux….this is a weird one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gui_tarzan View Post
    I took the opportunity to measure my electrolytics last night after reading this thread, just to see where mine fall in. All of my high volt caps were within spec except one of my 100/100 F&T bias caps. It read in the mid 50s which really surprised me. Some of my F&T 80s were in the mid 90s but I think that's acceptable. Brands didn't matter, most everything was really close but I'm glad I took the time to check them.
    You called the one that didn't spec a "bias cap". Is that it's intended purpose or did you actually open up your amps and test caps!?! Commendable! I never fix anything until it breaks.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
      You called the one that didn't spec a "bias cap". Is that it's intended purpose or did you actually open up your amps and test caps!?! Commendable! I never fix anything until it breaks.
      I bought them as replacements for Fender bias caps. No, I didn't open my amps, I did however all of my cap drawers and test new ones.
      --Jim

He's like a new set of strings... he just needs to be stretched a bit.

Comment

I do so few projects and repairs that I stopped stocking electrolytics. I buy new for each project or repair now. I found myself going through my inventory for a build and deciding that a new project deserved new caps rather the five year old ones I was finding in my drawers. Whether they "test" good or not. An electrolytic cap can look good in testing and still fail or underperform at higher voltages. I just feel better waiting for the order and installing fresh ones that will be properly used/conditioned early in their life. I may be nit picking, but I'm not down with things like heating or voltage ramp charging old electrolytics. I've had spotty and limited success with that and I've also purchased what I suspected to be old electrolytics that tested fine, but underperformed. I get peace of mid with fresh caps.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
          ...radial leads because of the greater selection/availability, better specs and lower price.
          +1 - this is what modern manufacturers commonly use (not just for amps), so the selection and specs are better. And they're small in size for their uF/V values.

Comment

Working...
          X