my little amp....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my little amp....

please allow me to indroduce myself[no..i am not the devil, jaggar was talking about] ...jeff and my little amp.

i have a sears silvertone model 1482 amp.

i have read where is is like a 66 or 67 era amp. is this true?

does anyone else have one of these.....it sounds pretty good to be so small.

but this is my very first post and wanted to say HI!

take a look here:

http://www.regiscoyne.com/silvertone1482/

Regis posts here pretty regularly, btw.

Comment

awesome!

mine dont look like that anymore!

i replaced that stock speaker with a ten incher out of a tube works speaker box that had 2 tens, but my friend "worked" on it and ruined one.

and my amp is mounted on a flat peice of work where i can see my tubes glow...

guy said he wasnt impressed with the tone... maybe im wrong...but if you worked with this amp you can get nearly any tone out of it by changing tubes...or speakers or whatnot.

i got rid of a marshall 3315 150 head and speaker and play this one!

but that was a real neat little review man...thank you thank you!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jeffinwv View Post
        .. sears silvertone model 1482 ...
        is like a 66 or 67 era amp...true? but this is my very first post and wanted to say HI!
        Hi Jeff: might be as early as 1964 but not much later than 1967. These are great-sounding amps and are rocketing up in price on eBay. There are several YouTube Demo vids of this amp; go look, you'll be impressed btw so will your buddy

Other than necessary maintenance -do not screw with this amp. Replace the cheesey 1/8" masonite baffleboard w/ quality baltic birch or other stable 1/2" plywood, get a decent 12" speaker for it. This amp's output transformer has taps for 4 and 8 ohm speakers; you can use either if on the correct taps and not ruin anything if you F up but it will not sound as good if mismatched.

The preamp has no cathode caps and .01 coupling caps; this is a recipe for weakish bass but cutting mids and edgy highs. Get the power supply refreshed, a fresh speaker, and, if you choose, fresh tubes. If you have a working 6AU6 tremolo tube but the trem is weak, there is a .47 trem cap that needs to be replaced along with the power supply caps.

Yours sounds like it has been ... ah ... reconfigured but if you toast it, you'll have nothing; do right by it and you'll have a terrific little screamer.

Good luck!

Comment

great...

it is a cool little thing. it is not loud enough to play "out" with...but i reckon you could mike it.

Comment

Working...
          X