Finishing the restoration of my 1960 5F6-A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finishing the restoration of my 1960 5F6-A

I'm doing the final tweaks on the restoration of my 1960 Fender tweed Bassman, model 5F6-A. I did the electronics recently and the amp sounds great, wonderful, superb!

I'm putting in a repro tube chart on the inner side wall of the cabinet. From what I've seen on other older tweed Bassmans, this tube chart is usually placed on the left side wall (facing the rear of amp) but unlike later Fenders, it is rotated 90 degrees on its side so it's easier to read when you bend down to look into the cabinet (to read: facing out the back, not facing down). Does that sound correct? I'd like to get the fine points historically correct if possible. I wonder if all Bassmans were like that?

The other thing I need to find are the 4 small nails (brads) that are used to mount the Fender Bassman nameplate to the front/top of the amp. Fender has been unhelpful about providing these and I've struck out at the local hardware stores. Does anyone know a source for these very small specialized round head brads?

Thanks,

Bob M.

think your right about it being sideways..

look at the last picture on this link.......

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/msg/421164525.html

Comment

Mounting the tube chart...

T.D.,

I know that what I've seen on most other 5F6-A Bassman amps I've run into. I saved online pics of various Bassmans for about a year before I did my restoration so I could view certain details. Also, this is how the tube chart is mounted in my '58 5F6-A. I was wondering how arbitrary this might have been. Fender, especially back then, is well-know for all sorts of one-offs.

Bob M.

Comment

If you haven't found those brass brads yet, you might check with Mark Baier at Victoria Amps.

Comment

If you're in an area that has a Home Depot, or a woodworking store look for what they call "brass escutcheon pins" ,small round head brass nails. I think they may be what you're looking for.
          Sometimes I'm good, then I'm bad..
          http://www.evacuatedelectronics.com

Comment

Working...
          X