Hohner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hohner

I have a Hohner CA-12R. It's nothing spectacular, I know. It works but it makes a lot of noise. The local amp repair guy gave me a quote of $150 for a recap and $10 for each pot that needs to be replaced. The amps not worth anywhere near that, I can't sell it like it is, and it seems like it would probably be a decent little amp if it was fixed up. In other words it doesn't seem like it's something that just needs to be tossed - but it's also not something I want to sink $200 in.

I was wondering if this is something I can do myself and if there's anyone on here willing to walk me thru the steps. My 3 year old is really into music so I was going to fix it up and maybe recover it with hot pink tolex for her for Christmas.

Mostly I just can't bring myself to throw away what is otherwise a fairly decent little practice amp. I know you can get killed messing around inside an amp if you don't know what you're doing, and I definitely qualify as one who doesn't know what they're doing. I was wondering if I posted pics of the guts if someone could tell me what I need to discharge to make this thing safe to work on, and what I probably almost certainly need to replace. I know capacitors don't last forever and this amp is probably 40 years old, so I have no doubt they need to be changed. Pots I'm not worried about - I've changed out parts in guitars a thousand times over the years. Never messed with amps (specifically because they can kill you).

Paging Dr. Gonz, paging Dr Gonz,

He's our MEF member in Phoenix, and I'll bet he can help revive your Hohner at a reasonable price. But letting a 3 year old loose with a tube amp, I'm not so sure about the advisability of that.

If you do go ahead with a self repair, an excellent source of parts is in nearby Tempe: Antique Radio (aka Amplified Parts) website tubesandmore.com .

Please stand by, I have a feeling you'll be hearing from Dr. Gonz shortly.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Is it a tube amp, or solid-state?
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Hey someone call my name? This week is good if you want to stop by or something, off work for the week. I can show you all the safety measures that you must follow to successfully work on the amp. If that works then PM me and I will give you my phone number. I might be moving to another residence and abandoning my shop area very soon, like in a month. So this week looks like the surest way to get it done. Let me know.
        When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
          Is it a tube amp, or solid-state?
          It's solid state

Comment

Working...
          X