No announcement yet.

What amp did I just buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK I opened her up. There are two stereo speaker jacks. One is switched. I am getting a headache trying to figure out how they are wired. My continuity tester says everything is connected to ground. I pulled the power tubes. Is it possible that the outputs of both amp sides could be wired to run into the switched jack? combing the signals to go out of one jack?

Here are pictures of the 2 output jacks.

Here's are lots of pictures. Thanks for your help so far everyone. I am learning so much.

EDIT: I figured out the switching and the wiring.

when nothing is plugged in tip and sleeve switch to ground on the switched jack. The right jack is wired in parallel.

Pin 1 of tube 3 (as numbered in the fourth image) goes to ring. Pin 1 of tube 1 goes to tip. Does this confirm it's a stereo amp? If so wouldnt using the the extra out put jack put any speakers wired in parallel thus halving the ohms?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3077.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	847287Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3078.JPG
Size:	2.40 MB
ID:	847288Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3064[1].JPG
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	847282Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3065.JPG
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	847283Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3066.JPG
Size:	2.21 MB
ID:	847284Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3068.JPG
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	847285Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3074.JPG
Size:	2.45 MB
ID:	847286
    Last edited by Fuzzy Slippers; 09-27-2017, 03:48 AM.

Comment

Remember that with an output transformer the hot and ground side of the output will look shorted by a continuity tester.

Not your circuit, but an example:

Comment

Originally posted by glebert View Post
        Remember that with an output transformer the hot and ground side of the output will look shorted by a continuity tester.

Not your circuit, but an example:
        ok that makes sense.

Comment

Current update: rewired the amps two output jacks to be 2 mono outputs from both sides of the amp. rewired cab to be 8ohms. now when using 2 ohm cabs if i turn everything up all the way and play as loud as possible the signal "scrambles" at the peaks of audio. what could that be?

Comment

My best guess would be aging/aged electrolytics.
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

2ohm cabinets? I doubt that is the intended impedance for starters. Also, I'm a little fuzzy (no pun intended) on the "two mono outputs from both sides" description. It might help everyone if you drew out what you did.
              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                2ohm cabinets? I doubt that is the intended impedance for starters. Also, I'm a little fuzzy (no pun intended) on the "two mono outputs from both sides" description. It might help everyone if you drew out what you did.
                I think that post might be a typo and he means quantity 2) 8 ohm cabinets. Clarification might be good.
                "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Working...
                X