No announcement yet.

Manny's Vocal/Instrument Amplifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I messed with the amp for a while, but I don't do well when I don't have a schematic. This amp sat on my bench for quite some time pushed off to the side. I don't like having non-working stuff occupying space on my bench so after a while I tried messing with it again. While working on the amp, in the back of my mind I'm thinking, who really wants an old transtube pa anyway other than someone who's into Manny's nostalgia.

Around the same time I started looking at trying to pick up a Marshall head. I don't have a Marshall in the collection. Then I saw the prices and remembered why I don't have a Marshall in the collection. Even the Marshall kits are a grand. Then I'm like, hey, the Manny's amp runs on EL34s and it's the crappy ss preamp that I'm having issues with. The light when off in my head and the Marshall amp build began.
    Attached Files

Comment

I decided on a JCM 800 Master Model 50w MK2 Lead 2204. There are lots of schematic, layout, and build information on this amp which is just what I needed.
      Attached Files

Comment

I ordered a pre-made turret board from Mojotones. Then assembled the board myself. The rest of the parts came from regular suppliers. I reused the PT, OT, power tube sockets, bias pot and bridge rectifier from Manny's amp.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by tigerzilly; 03-08-2021, 03:58 PM.

Comment

I had to work out some bugs upon initial startup. I replaced one wrong resistor, and installed a missed cap. Then I had to redo the wiring to the pots due to squeeling. Now it sounds great!
          Attached Files

Comment

Introducing Manny's Marshall amp!
            Attached Files

Comment

sound files?
              If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
              If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
              We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
              MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Working...
              X