hey guys still kind of a newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hey guys still kind of a newbie

I was just wondering what you guys thought is the best way to go to retube my silverface super it has sylvania and rcas which I assume are original but one of the rca's is micro and it probably need a couple of 7025's and a 12at7. So I guess, what is the best bang for my buck keep in mind I work at guitar center so if they sell them there that is a bonus.

isn't there someone knowledegable (or an expert) on tubes at Guitar Center?

Comment

Originally posted by dai h. View Post
      isn't there someone knowledegable (or an expert) on tubes at Guitar Center?
      I hope you're joking? Don't mess with the guy. The last place I would go for advice on anything is GC. Check out Torres Engineering, Fliptops, or Eurotubes. Decide if you want nos tubes or acceptable modern replacements. Lots of people like JJs.

Comment

ok I am not that much of a newbie

I guess what I meant is what is the best thing to get I mean in the past I have had good look with JJ's and Ruby tubes but I would much rather have a nos tubes but I know they are a lot more expensive than standard tubes. I really like RCA's they seem to last a long time. Oh and don't let me get started on how if gc invested in their people that they would get a lot better staff.

Comment

well, I don't know much about new tubes, but as far as old stock you might want to consider *good* used tubes(i.e. used but still have a lot of life left in them). You might be able to find them for cheaper or even free in the garbage from an organ, stereo, etc. Otherwise maybe overlooked off-brands (but from *good* manufacturers like RCA, Syl., GE, Tung-Sol, Mullard, Brimar, and so on...) but you'd have to study a bit to learn to recognize the desirable ones. Good luck, happy hunting.

Comment

I read the tube reviews at "thetubestore.com" and believed their judgement. The JJs I bought before are really great but a touch too dark (midrange). I think if you go for that vintage sound you ought to try Tung Sol. They're great sounding. They jingle and chime and have a great low end response too. Also not prone to microphonics. Preamp and power amp too. (6L6)
            I just love em.

Matt

Comment

Working...
            X