Peavey VT300 200W bass amp. Anybody?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey VT300 200W bass amp. Anybody?

Recently picked up a fixer, a Peavey VT300 all tube amp with 4 6550s. It seems to be the same basic amp as the VTB300, which is a single channel of a VTA400, or something. Anyway, I can find a few VTB300s but not any VT300. Besides the slight name difference there are some cosmetic differences, the faceplate on this is more plain. Component date codes seem to be 1971. I'm curious about the output impedance. The VTA400 was (supposedly) max power at 2 ohm load but still OK at 4 and 8 ohm. Mine has a stuck on piece of tape that says 4 ohm min. I've heard the (really) early Peavey stuff had reliability issues. I read that the VTA400 was supposed to be "200W at 2ohm, 140W at 4ohm, and 100W at 8ohm" which seems like a lot of mismatch to me.

Anyone know anything about this? I know, call Peavey and ask them, but I am bored now and chasing my tail on this.

Edit: I reallzed that the VTB300 models may have said VT300 on the back, same as mine. The faceplate is definitely different though.
    Attached Files

It is 50 years old and apparently still works? In which case I'd have to say any "reliability issues" are behind it. I do recall many years ago that non-USA 6550 tubes were not all that reliable.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

the VTA400 was supposed to be "200W at 2ohm, 140W at 4ohm, and 100W at 8ohm" which seems like a lot of mismatch to me.
      Those DEFINITELY look like SS amp specs to me.

No tube amp would state something similar, so somebody mixed unrelated data way back then.

It looks like a perfect match for any "something 400" SS Peavey product though, which would actually mean 200W RMS into its optimum impedance.
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
        It is 50 years old and apparently still works? In which case I'd have to say any "reliability issues" are behind it..
        Not that this is an "initial reliability" issue, but it hasn't been working for at least a few years, music store that had it listed it as "blows fuses". I put it on a LBL and variac (no tubes) it doesn't light up until the voltage is 2/3 the way up to full. Disconnected the HT and bias from their rectifiers and it stops lighting up the bulb, that is as far as I've gotten.

Those DEFINITELY look like SS amp specs to me.
        Agreed. When I mentioned reliability issues I was mostly wondering if they had problems because they spec'd them wrong.
        Last edited by glebert; 01-14-2021, 01:02 PM.

Comment

maybe something similar

https://elektrotanya.com/showresult?what=peavey

http://bee.mif.pg.gda.pl/ciasteczkowypotwor/%23SM_scena/Peavey/
          It's All Over Now

Comment

Not sure if it's at all related, but remember something about Peavey OT in some 6550 model that was designed with oddball 6550s. So with todays 6550s you had to mismatch impedance to get full power out.
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
              Not sure if it's at all related, but remember something about Peavey OT in some 6550 model that was designed with oddball 6550s. So with todays 6550s you had to mismatch impedance to get full power out.
              That was for the Classic 400. Ironically I believe I have some of those oddball 6550s (NOS), though.

Comment

The VTA400 was the single, 200W version of the VTA800. Specs for the 400 look more like what I'd expect from a tube amp with only a 2 ohm tap, less power either above or below rated load impedance. Schematic attached in case parts of it are similar to what you have.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pv spec.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	922609
                Attached Files
                Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                X