Is this a guitar amp with 30 12AX7's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a guitar amp with 30 12AX7's?

Hi, I saw this at a local on-line auction last night and won the auction, but haven't picked it up yet so I don't have many details yet other than what is in these photos . The controls look like guitar amp controls, as does the speaker (15" Jensen) and the amplifier. But...on the right are 6 banks of 5 ea 12AX7 tubes. Has anyone ever bumped into this amp? There are no identifying labels or other markings in the photos which include photos of all sides.
    Attached Files

My best guess is it is the tone cabinet for an electronic accordion. All the extra tubes would be for oscillators and frequency dividers to make all the notes. Like maybe an old Wurlitzer or maybe Cordovox. But that is only an opinion.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Enzo's probably right (as usual! . Although ... in the nutty wacky world of high figh, I'm aware of one "revolutionary" amp designer-builder who has made power amps out of banks of 12AX7's. Tim de Paravicini I think. Not something one would do for a guitar or even an accordion amp. But, who knows, this world is full of wonders. And follies.

no photo but you can read some about it here: https://www.blackdahlia.com/tipindex...3/tip__13.html
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

It's not often you get 30 Telefunken tubes at auction. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telefunken
        If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
        If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
        We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
        MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Thanks Enzo and others. He does seem to be on the right path, I looked at some of those accordion tone cabinets and they have similar tube counts, although I didn't see any with only 12AX7's. Hopefully when I get the amp there will be further clues on who made it and what it is. Thanks again!

Comment

Yes, i spotted the tele logo. If you got 30 pieces of Telefunken 12ax7, you have over $1000 worth of tubes there. I'm also guessing a Cordovox or some sort of accordian/organ item.

Comment

The handle looks Cordovox. They used Jensen too. So good chance it is one. Are you sure all those tubes are 12AX7?
              It's not a CG1, probably older.
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I think they are all 12AX7's because all 6 rows look the same (notice the end wiring) and the tube numbers I could see (there are several other photos) are 12AX7's. I'll know more this weekend and update later.
                Thanks again for your friendly help.

Comment

Some decent looking transformers in there, too and plenty of those mustard caps the sonic mojo guys like. Looks like a good score.

Comment

how come I got no photos in OP?

Comment

Working...
                    X