Teneyck 4x10 Vintage Speaker Cabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teneyck 4x10 Vintage Speaker Cabs

These were so dirt cheap I just had to grab them. They have some great vintage vibe. They cleaned up nicely. Opened them up to find four 1968 CTS 10" Alnico speakers. I'll overlook the particleboard construction for the vibe and the CTS speakers. I tried them with the Super Reverb. That gave me twelve 10" CTS Alnico speakers. Sounds oh so good!

Attached Files

Wow!
    Nice catch.
    Rock On.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerzilly View Post
      These were so dirt cheap I just had to grab them. They have some great vintage vibe. They cleaned up nicely. Opened them up to find four 1968 CTS 10" Alnico speakers. I'll overlook the particleboard construction for the vibe and the CTS speakers. I tried them with the Super Reverb. That gave me twelve 10" CTS Alnico speakers. Sounds oh so good!
      Did you find them locally? Teneyck, an old Dutch name that was common hundreds of years ago, and still exists to some small extent near your location in the Hudson Valley. Nice to have that "wall of sound" effect. Hows about a picture?
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post

Did you find them locally? Teneyck, an old Dutch name that was common hundreds of years ago, and still exists to some small extent near your location in the Hudson Valley. Nice to have that "wall of sound" effect. Hows about a picture?
        I got them at auction in CT. There was a service tag on the speakers from Herbert Electronics of Hartford CT. The speakers apparently were made in Asbury Park, NJ . My quick research indicated that they were made by Robert Teneyck, a former ampeg designer. His own brand of solid state amps wasn't successful.

I have them connected to my PA now.

Attached Files

Comment

I guess the 4x10 speaker config was a big deal for PA systems back in the late 60's, to mid 70's. I guess the cabs had a total of 8 ohms? I see these types of cabs now and then, mostly Peavey.

Nowadays, a nice 12" and a horn out performs the old 4x10s. So the old 4x10s can be a good (and cheap) source for extra speakers to have just in case you are working on a project.

On a slightly different note, my high school band bought an EMC PA system. The system came with four cabinets. Two of the cabs had a pair of 12" speakers. The other two cabs had a pair of 12" speakers and a horn. Each cab was 16 ohms. So in total, that gave us a 4 ohm load for the PA head. It was a nice setup; compact, sounded ok too (for a high school band). But we we all went our separate ways, the cabs got split up between band members. So having a pair of 16 ohm cabs with no horn was kinda useless.
          It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by TomCarlos View Post
            I guess the 4x10 speaker config was a big deal for PA systems back in the late 60's, to mid 70's. I guess the cabs had a total of 8 ohms? I see these types of cabs now and then, mostly Peavey.

Nowadays, a nice 12" and a horn out performs the old 4x10s. So the old 4x10s can be a good (and cheap) source for extra speakers to have just in case you are working on a project.
            Yes they are total of 8 ohms. Interestingly one of the speakers had a small tweeter in addition to the four 10s. I disconnected it since there is no internal passive crossover for it. These 4x10 cabs sound very good with my PA. Most of my PA is is made up of big heavy old gear. These sound better than the old EV stage speakers I was using. Now my PA is a combination of two 18" Peavey subs, two Peavey 15" stage speakers, and the two Teneyck 4x10 cabs. The two EV stage speaker are now extensions in the basement. I don't move the PA. It's for home use.

The Teneycks also work as guitar speaker extensions if I want. They seem pretty versatile to me and they look very cool.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerzilly View Post

Yes they are total of 8 ohms. Interestingly one of the speakers had a small tweeter in addition to the four 10s. I disconnected it since there is no internal passive crossover for it. These 4x10 cabs sound very good with my PA. Most of my PA is is made up of big heavy old gear. These sound better than the old EV stage speakers I was using. Now my PA is a combination of two 18" Peavey subs, two Peavey 15" stage speakers, and the two Teneyck 4x10 cabs. The two EV stage speaker are now extensions in the basement. I don't move the PA. It's for home use.

The Teneycks also work as guitar speaker extensions if I want. They seem pretty versatile to me and they look very cool.
              Uh oh... when I hear thunder from up north, I'll know now it's the Rhinebeck Rumble. Keep collecting, the more the merrier!

Click image for larger version

Name:	wallofsound.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	926637

After a while, it can get out of hand. Make sure you have plenty of friends to help stack it up

BTW that tweeter is probably a piezo. Most manufacturers didn't bother installing a crossover for them. No worries leaving it out, they're sorta barky sounding anyway.

This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post

Uh oh... when I hear thunder from up north, I'll know now it's the Rhinebeck Rumble. Keep collecting, the more the merrier!
                I try not to get too carried away. Keep the best and move the rest. This is the sound room at the moment. The Teneycks are at the other end of the room. My son is the musician. Lucky for him I'm a sound geek.

Attached Files

Comment

Nice space! And the Teneyck's look marvelous for their age

If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                  If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                  We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                  MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

From what I can tell from the pictures, the tweeter(s) is/are piezo tweets and do not require a crossover, although you probably don't want a tweeter if using the cabinets for guitar, anyway.
                    Last edited by The Dude; 03-17-2021, 11:58 PM.
                    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Working...
                    X