1980 Fender 75 Rehab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post

I'm diggin' the test instruments built into your workbench's back wall. Are they functional? Way kool whether they are or not.
    Cool story on that workbench. I bought it for $25 from the daughter of a the guy who built it. He had built it as part of his curriculum at the local tech school here in Minneapolis back in the 1940s. He worked as a electronics repair man all his life. Lot of cred built into this workbench. I restored the cap checker at bottom right. I turned the little amp thing into an early champ type amp, but it's not perfect. May need to take another pass at it someday. Obviously the fluorescents still work! Haven't seen the need for the volt-ohm meter yet, but that might be nice for checking leaky coupling caps. I have a nice variac, so I don't use the built in one, but I am sure it still works! Pencil sharpener is still on point. It's nice to know I got ol' Erlin watching over me.

20210820_222550 by Michael Lovato, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by twilightofthedogs View Post
      Cool story on that workbench. I bought it for $25 from the daughter of a the guy who built it. He had built it as part of his curriculum at the local tech school here in Minneapolis back in the 1940s. He worked as a electronics repair man all his life. Lot of cred built into this workbench. I restored the cap checker at bottom right. I turned the little amp thing into an early champ type amp, but it's not perfect. May need to take another pass at it someday. Obviously the fluorescents still work! Haven't seen the need for the volt-ohm meter yet, but that might be nice for checking leaky coupling caps. I have a nice variac, so I don't use the built in one, but I am sure it still works! Pencil sharpener is still on point. It's nice to know I got ol' Erlin watching over me.
      I'm just bowled over, wow what an inspiring place to work on gear. Cubby holes each side, lots of little drawers. And a golden patina to the wood that settles the flourescent lamps' glow to an eye pleasing hue. The little amp thing was probably an audio signal tracer, but in the and all that is, is a champ-like very basic amp. So you should be able to get it fully functional without too much more trouble. Then you can plug in a radio or handy digital source to keep you amused whilst working. Way kool workbench and thanx for posting the photo, it made my day.

This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

A little follow up on this. I installed a 20uf/500 volt filter cap between the choke and the 470 screen resistors and it made the hi/low power switch very unhappy. Loud pop every time the switch was engaged. I couldn't tell if it was the cap or the switch, but the switch blew so I think it was the switch. Any idea how to add the filtering where it needs to be and get around whatever this issue is?

Comment

You should engage the hi/lo power switch only with the amp in standby or completely off.
          Last edited by Helmholtz; 09-06-2021, 04:24 PM.
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
          X