Blackface + black grill cloth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackface + black grill cloth?

Did Fender ever use black grill cloth with blackface amps? I have an amp and speaker cabinet, bought from different people in different places, that have black grill cloth that looks identical. The cabinet is the briefly made (1967) tall Bassman 212. The Showman I don't know the date on, and has been so highly modified I haven't tried to date it. I could see people painting or dying the grill cloth to cover up stains or "modernize" them or something, but it is strange to me that these two pieces would match so well. Luckily they sound great together too, the cabinet is now open back with Jensen C12NAs and the Showman has been modified for plexi type distortion.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211027_122718526.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	944226

looks nice! You play 'cello through it?
    If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
    MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

I don't recall ever seeing a blackface with that grill cloth. Maybe both sellers read the same restoration thread somewhere.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by eschertron View Post
        looks nice! You play 'cello through it?
        That could lead to some amazing feedback!

Maybe both sellers read the same restoration thread somewhere.
        LOL
        Last edited by glebert; 10-28-2021, 04:56 AM.

Comment

From what I remember only the Super Twin and Super Twin Reverb wore a black grill cloth.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro Vecino View Post
            From what I remember only the Super Twin and Super Twin Reverb wore a black grill cloth.
            I seem to recall the '75' as well?

It's possible that both units were recovered around the same time, and that the black cloth was an available aftermarket item at the time.
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Yes, too (did not know that model). I see it also has the distinctive gold frame like the ones above.

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                I seem to recall the '75' as well?

It's possible that both units were recovered around the same time, and that the black cloth was an available aftermarket item at the time.
                I think those amps were late 70's, early 80's, and I could see people trying to make a 25 year old Fender amp look like the new ones. Also, I shouldn't say they came back from completely different places, they were both in the Portland metro, so as was said maybe that was what the local speaker and amp guys had for cloth.

Comment

Originally posted by glebert View Post

I think those amps were late 70's, early 80's, and I could see people trying to make a 25 year old Fender amp look like the new ones. Also, I shouldn't say they came back from completely different places, they were both in the Portland metro, so as was said maybe that was what the local speaker and amp guys had for cloth.
                  Both from the same area. Hmmm...?

Maybe they were once together and both re clothed at the same time. Then became separated somehow and it's YOU that put them back together.
                  "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                  You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

The music store in Portland now called Trade Up Music on SE Division used to sell grill cloth. There was one or two bolts of it on the wall behind the counter.
                    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
                    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post

Both from the same area. Hmmm...?

Maybe they were once together and both re clothed at the same time. Then became separated somehow and it's YOU that put them back together.
                      I like that thought

The music store in Portland now called Trade Up Music on SE Division used to sell grill cloth. There was one or two bolts of it on the wall behind the counter.
                      I sometimes forget that Portland used to have much more of a small-town feel, and everyone got their stuff from the same one or two places. I wish I had been here for more of that.

Comment

Working...
                      X