Ampeg B-22X Jupiter - Yes it IS Heavy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg B-22X Jupiter - Yes it IS Heavy

I don't usually go for big heavy amps, but it could be good. So here I am to the rescue of this large beast. It IS heavy, but hmm...maybe that's because its well made. Here are pics.
    Attached Files

I always have to clean the old amp first. Years of smoke, beer and who knows what has got to go. I use household cleaner and water with a plastic scrub brush to scrub the cabinet down inside and out, avoiding sensitive labels and such. I wipe with dry towels as I go. I scrubbed and wiped this multiple times to get it clean. It's amazing how quickly the amp begins to rebound.
    Attached Files

Comment

Next glue down the loose and ripped tolex. I use wood glue, clear packing tape and both wet and dry rags to do this job. It would be prudent to do this a few areas at a time, but if you're like me, you'll try to do it all at once. The clear packing tape works really well to hold the tolex while the glue dries and it removes easily. The rags are for the inevitable glue on tolex situation. This took me a couple hours last night, then I removed the tape this morning. When I removed the tape it was dry enough to stay put, but I could still scrape any stray glue off the tolex. Most would look at the old tolex and say it needs to be replaced. I disagree.
      Attached Files

Comment

FWIW: Quick fix for the areas where the tolex is missing (small holes), a paint pen or sharpie will at least make the lighter colored wood less visible from a distance. Of course there are better fixes, but if you just want a quick one, it works well. Nice work!

Edit: Casters would be a nice addition.
        Last edited by The Dude; 12-15-2021, 10:55 PM.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Oooh,, I hate casters on amps. And I think AMpeg got it right on the Portaflex. They mounted casters on a flat plate, which attached to the bottom of the cab. But one twist of the wrist and it was free. Why do I dislike them? They can rattle, especially on bass. The taller the amp is, and especially a top heavy cab with a large amp up top, the more unstable it can be. Amps tipping over scare me. I prefer wheel boards. They allow me to roll the amp to the stage, lift the amp onto solid ground, and then I can use the wheel board to move something else.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

This amp did originally come with a dolly. It needs one. Most of the tolex damage was around the botton from being dragged around without it. I have been contemplating what to do for wheels. It would be easy to slap casters on the bottom but the purist in me makes me hesitate. I may eventually make another dolly, but for now some rubber feet. I don't plan on moving it and if I do, I can use a hand truck.
            Last edited by tigerzilly; 12-16-2021, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Done with the tolex repairs. I have a leftover can of flat black paint that serves me well for this purpose. All those unsightly bare wood spots just disappear. This cabinet had worsening open flesh wounds for years. Now its ready for continued service.
              Attached Files

Comment

Do you wash the grillcloth?
                Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by tigerzilly View Post
                  This amp did originally come with a dolly. It needs one. I have been contemplating what to do for wheels. It would be easy to slap casters on the bottom but the purist in me makes me hesitate. I may eventually make another dolly, but for now some rubber feet. I don't plan on moving it and if I do, I can use a hand truck.
                  Hand truck is my choice. Don't worry about the original wheel dolly - it was a farce. Little furniture casters that might work on a polished studio floor, but never for buggy-lugging across pitted parking lots. You might consider an all purpose dolly you can buy cheap at Harbor Fright, with fairly big wheels and sturdy construction. Avoid those plug-in wheels. Too often people try to install those then drill into the baffle/grille causing unsightly damage. Last advice: DO NOT bolt or screw wheels right into the amp's "floor" tempting as it might seem.
                  This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                    Do you wash the grillcloth?
                    I did. I scrubbed the grillcloth and wiped it with towels. Cleaned up well.

Comment

Finished recapping the Jupiter. Tested it on the bench and it sounds really good! Still not sure about the vibrato, tremolo, after beat effects. The effects are working but I would expect more intensity from the trem and vibrato. Also I think I'm hearing some after beat in the vibrato when the after beat switch is off. With old fenders I always replace the roach to get the trem working at its best. Not sure if that's as easily done here.

Attached Files

Comment

Well that wasn't hard. Just ordered the VM-1A module from Fliptops. That should get the trem/vibrato working properly.

Comment

Well it just got a bit harder. Fliptops is out of VM-1A modules. They don't know when they will get the parts they need to make more.

Comment

Fliptops came through. They called as soon as the VM-1A module was in stock. As expect replacing the module brings the tremolo and vibrato to life. With the replacement in hand I was bold and opened the old one up. Attached are pics. The new one is not an exact drop in match, but it works.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X