Gibson Medalist 410 amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson Medalist 410 amp

Hey. I just found this forum and this is my first post. I have a mint condition 1968 Gibson Medalist 410 amp (I am the original owner, never been used at a gig or by another player) and I lost the On/Off switch in a move. I wonder if anybody has access to a replacement knob, or advice on how to find one. If anybody has a similar vintage Gibson amp that is trashed….. I will buy the knobs.

Like this? Any idea what the diameter is? Is it straight shaft with setscrew, d-shaft, splined push on? Do you want exact replacement or just something close?

Click image for larger version

Name:	gibsonpower.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	950810

Comment

That is it exactly. It looks like the metal post has a diameter of 7/32”. All of the metal posts on the top of the amp are the same diameter. The power knob is a different shape-exactly like the picture you provided. I am currently using one of the other knobs to turn it on or off as they are interchangeable. Thanks for the reply and photo.I am looking for an exact replacement if possible, It is a straight push on/pull off with splines.

Comment

Originally posted by glebert View Post
        ......Is it straight shaft with setscrew, d-shaft, splined push on?......
        ^^^^^^ This. Also, what is the approximate knob diameter. There is no way to know from a picture.

BTW: Welcome to the place!
        Last edited by The Dude; 01-27-2022, 03:48 AM.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Diameter of the knob is 1.5” and the height would be about 1”. I am pretty sure that all the Gibson amps in the late 60’s used the same knobs.

Comment

I can't find anything that matches your original knob, but maybe something similar to the other knobs would be better than nothing. You could take something like these and remove the numbers from the skirt. BTW, I had never heard of CB Gitty before but they have a ton of guitar related parts.

https://www.cbgitty.com/cigar-box-gu...o-style-knobs/

Click image for larger version  Name:	51-039-01_Product_Image_1__87970.1394381776.JPG?c=2?imbypass=on.jpg Views:	0 Size:	335.5 KB ID:	950912

Comment

Check here, they might have something close if not the right one.

https://www.amplifiedparts.com/
              --Jim

He's like a new set of strings... he just needs to be stretched a bit.

Comment

I have this one. It's outer diameter is about 1 1/4", has about 1/4" hole for the pot shaft and uses a set screw.

Name:	IMG_0941.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	2.50 MB
ID:	952000

Name:	IMG_0938.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	2.45 MB
ID:	951998
                Attached Files

Comment

Hmm, those pictures are kind of big - lol...

Comment

Tubemonster-that knob is very close. The shaft has splines, I am not sure how a set screw would work, but that knob is the closest one yet that I have found. I am very appreciative of your help.

Comment

gui_tarzan…thanks for the link! Cool site. I found something unrelated that I am interested in at that link-thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr R View Post
                        The shaft has splines, I am not sure how a set screw would work
                        If you put a spacer between the 2 sides of the shaft they work fine. Any kind of metal shim stock (washer) or hard plastic (guitar pick) cut to size will work. (appropriate thickness of course)
                        Originally posted by Enzo
                        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                        X