Odd Old Tube Amp (accordian ??)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd Old Tube Amp (accordian ??)

Hi I recently purchased a small all tube amp and wonder if any one may have any idea of who or what company may have made it , it looks to be made in the late 40s or 50s ???
    I have attached a few photos in hopes it helps The names on the tag were Accordion players in Vancouver BC Thats all I can find so far....... Thanks JAVELIN

It looks to me like some of the old Valco/Supro style amps from the 40's. Since it has an electrodynamic (field coil) speaker I doubt it would be much later than that. What tubes are in it?

Comment

Originally posted by glebert View Post
      It looks to me like some of the old Valco/Supro style amps from the 40's. Since it has an electrodynamic (field coil) speaker I doubt it would be much later than that. What tubes are in it?
      Based on the date codes of the two Power Supply electrolytic caps, being 4520, that translates to 20th week of 1945. After WW2 was over in Europe, and don;t recall VJ Day in Japan, but that year for when the caps were made. So this WAS built just after WW2. Sure crusty inside the chassis.

The date code on the frame of the speaker....0845. Assume that being either 8th week of 1945, or August 1945.
      Last edited by nevetslab; 02-26-2022, 09:07 PM.
      Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Yes that is crusty! I agree with glebert, it looks like an old Valco. If you could tell us the tube compliment, we might be able to find a schematic or at least something similar to start with.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Can you show a sideways picture of this structure?

Showing the presumed coil/winding inside.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I'd surely bet on a field coil.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Same here, but seeing beats guessing 10:1
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Sorry everyone I had forgotten about my post and just came across it this morning. Any schematic ideas would be helpfull otherwise I will proceed with replacing the identifiable caps and out of spec resistors...

The Tubes in this amp are
                (1) Metal shell 6N7
                (1) Metal shell 6SJ7
                (2) 6V6GT's
                (1) 5Y3
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X