Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fender 45" Tall 4x12 Cabinet - Help to ID?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender 45" Tall 4x12 Cabinet - Help to ID?

Trying to identify the model of this 60s/70s cabinet. 45" x 30" cab.

Also wondering what speakers are in them (I would rather not take the time to open it up if possible). Speakers have that silver cone.

Only the right side jack is connected to the speakers. Tag reads P56930

Thank you. MarkO

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220308_092544935.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	2.58 MB
ID:	954781 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220308_092607291.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	2.32 MB
ID:	954780 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220308_092443314.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	954779 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220308_092553520.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	954778
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220308_092601333.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	954777 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220308_092434056.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	954776 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220308_092624707_HDR.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	462.6 KB
ID:	954775 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220308_092617397.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	330.8 KB
ID:	954774

Originally posted by misterc57 View Post
    Trying to identify the model of this 60s/70s cabinet. 45" x 30" cab.

Also wondering what speakers are in them (I would rather not take the time to open it up if possible). Speakers have that silver cone.

Only the right side jack is connected to the speakers. Tag reads P56930
    Speakers may be CTS - which became Eminence somewhere late 60's. Looking at those speaker jacks, yikes! Should be replaced due to corrosion. I know, there's a gazillion screws have to be removed to get inside.

This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Looks like the cab our keyboard player used with his Rhodes.The piano sat on it like it was a pair of back legs.

Comment

Originally posted by stokes View Post
        Looks like the cab our keyboard player used with his Rhodes.The piano sat on it like it was a pair of back legs.
        I think you're right about that. I thought I had some photos of the service I did on two of our Fender Rhodes, and had to go into the cabinet, but I don't see them on my desktop. Probably files that I didn't get moved from the laptop to the desktop when I had to move back to this smaller space. Size looks right for the Rhodes.
        Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Nit picking again but i don't think CTS "became" Eminence, 1 engineer left CTS and started his own company. 1966? The story is on one of their websites. That being said, those speakers look like CTS i have out of a Traynor cabinet, date coded 1974.

Comment

Didn't the Rhodes cabs have only three drivers?
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
              Didn't the Rhodes cabs have only three drivers?
              Could be, but I'm sure the one our guy had was 4x12's.I remember the Fender logo always irked me cause it was sideways when the cab was on its side and I remember the 4 speakers.Always threatened to move the logo so it read right when set up with the piano.

Comment

I guess I am confused. The suitcase cabs with stereo amps wouldn't have had three. One of those cabs had three somethings.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

That cabinet has the two threaded inserts in the top of the cab like amps of the drip edge era that locked into slotted brackets that slid out from under amp cabinets. The distance between them might be a clue as to what amp the cabinet was intended to be used with.

Didn't those Rhodes cabinets use something like 32 Ohm speakers ?

It looks like the Fender logo was once in the opposite corner of the grill cloth.

I think a look inside would show a home made baffle board. Roadie up and remove the back.
                  WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
                  REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

The bolt holes are 25" apart.

I am leaning towards it being a dual showman cabinet that was converted from a 2x15 to a 4x12. You can kind of see the shadows in the grill of the 2x15.

Pictures of the inside....

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220309_082529317.jpg Views:	0 Size:	738.5 KB ID:	954901 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220309_082509771.jpg Views:	0 Size:	774.1 KB ID:	954902 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220309_082635432.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.18 MB ID:	954903

Comment

4 speakers and 2 electrically separate 4 ohm circuits make all the sense for a *Stereo* Rhodes amplifier, allowing for its Stereo side to side wobbling "vibrato".
                      So no 3 speakers, 32 ohm drivers, etc.
                      Why "imagine" when the reality is exposed in all its glory?

FWIW I built my own version back in the day, think 1977 or so, for our then greatest Rock star.

Here´s a free sample:

Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Google shows those as 8 ohm speakers, so you have a 2 ohm load, if I'm seeing wiring correctly. It also looks to me like the top two speakers are out of phase with the bottom two they way they are wired to the jack. I would battery test the cabinet and make sure all speakers move the same direction. You may also want to rewire the cabinet to a series parallel combination unless you have an amp that will run a 2 ohm load.
                        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I measured 4.7 ohms at the jack. I will make a diagram of the wiring. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                            Google shows those as 8 ohm speakers, so you have a 2 ohm load, if I'm seeing wiring correctly. It also looks to me like the top two speakers are out of phase with the bottom two they way they are wired to the jack. I would battery test the cabinet and make sure all speakers move the same direction. You may also want to rewire the cabinet to a series parallel combination unless you have an amp that will run a 2 ohm load.

You were right Dude. 2 ohms load and all in parallel. I will rewire to series parallel. Thank you

Comment

Be sure to observe polarity. As I said, it looks to me like whoever wired it last had the speakers out of phase.
                              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Working...
                              X