Garnet Rebel 3 prong plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garnet Rebel 3 prong plug

Like to get some advice on best way to wire for a 3 prong plug. Thanks.

Well, you'll be wiring in the two AC Mains leads (BLK & WHT....or BRN and BLU depending on the cable you get....BLK = BRN for Line, WHT = BLU for Neutral) where the present BLK & WHT leads are connected. Then on the new 3-wire cable there will be a GRN wire (or GRN/YEL), which is AC Mains Ground. That wire need to attach to Chassis with a round lug. I know the temptation will be to solder it to the lug that's mounted to the Power Transformer bolt. Try and find one that is separate, and not that.

I also see the lead of a yellow film cap that looks to be coming from a Ground Reverse Switch. Remove that. That's the Death Cap. Chassis ground wire eliminates the need for that. If your replacement AC Mains cord is same/similar diameter as this aged cord, you can reuse the Heyco Strain Relief that it passes thru. Your challenge is to get that to release without a Heyco tool. Pliers and cursing is the path to that chore. You have the photos for comparison, so make it look like that with the new power cord leads & the additional Ground wire to chassis, and you're good to go.
    Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Originally posted by nevetslab View Post
      Well, you'll be wiring in the two AC Mains leads (BLK & WHT....or BRN and BLU depending on the cable you get....BLK = BRN for Line, WHT = BLU for Neutral) where the present BLK & WHT leads are connected. Then on the new 3-wire cable there will be a GRN wire (or GRN/YEL), which is AC Mains Ground. That wire need to attach to Chassis with a round lug. I know the temptation will be to solder it to the lug that's mounted to the Power Transformer bolt. Try and find one that is separate, and not that.

I also see the lead of a yellow film cap that looks to be coming from a Ground Reverse Switch. Remove that. That's the Death Cap. Chassis ground wire eliminates the need for that. If your replacement AC Mains cord is same/similar diameter as this aged cord, you can reuse the Heyco Strain Relief that it passes thru. Your challenge is to get that to release without a Heyco tool. Pliers and cursing is the path to that chore. You have the photos for comparison, so make it look like that with the new power cord leads & the additional Ground wire to chassis, and you're good to go.
      Appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by ca7922303 View Post

Appreciate it.
        Got the 3 prong wired in, noticed that one of the 6v6s pin 1 is 288vdc, other one is mv.

Comment

You need to learn this stuff. Look up the data sheet for the 6V6, or 6L6 for that matter.

https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/191/6/6V6.pdf

Your 6V6 is most likely a 6V6GT, meaning a glass tube instead of metal. Look at the data sheet, pin 1 shows NC, for Not Connected. That means since the tube doesn't use pin 1, you can use that socket terminal as a convenient place to solder something.

Fender did this on many amps. A 6L6GC does not use pin 1 or pin 6. So Fender often soldered the screen resistor to pin 4, and soldered the free end to pin 6 so the wire to it wouldn't have to meet it in mid air. A small grid stopper resistor likewise was soldered to the grid at pin 5, and the free end was soldered to pin 1 of the socket for the same reasons.

I don't know the insides of your amp, but I suspect they did something similar.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Ok. Maybe this is bad form, but,..

ca7922303,

In the last month you've posted about repairs for:

Laney tt50H
            Fender Twin Reverb
            Gibson GA-5
            Peavey Classic 30
            Ampeg V4
            Fender Champ
            Acoustic B300HD
            Garnet Rebel

You have referenced the owners of these amps so I know they are not yours. "I" (as a mod) can see and trace via your IP address to a location with a high electric guitar player demographic. You are clearly NOT a qualified repair technician. I'm going to ask a question (if it ever was a question for anyone). And I'm going to speak plain. Are you doing unauthorized repairs by tapping the knowledge of well meaning member of this forum?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Because if you are I see this as scabing income from the very people you are asking to facilitate this. Further, you've demonstrated enough lack of understanding that I believe there is cause for safety concerns with respect to the amp owners and even yourself. "I" for one think you should not be further encouraged to work with and turn over repairs of high voltage circuits.

If you are up to anything less nefarious please convince me.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Ok. ca7922303 has contacted me via PM and we've reconciled for the time being. I'm informed that no offer to do repairs is being solicited and that no monies other than parts and favor appropriations is taking place. Since I have found myself in the position of doing repairs for acquaintances when asked I am sympathetic to this. I did warn that the number of repairs looks suspicious and unless all these acquaintances own rooms full of broken amps I'll be harder to convince in the future. But for the moment I'm satisfied with the explanation that this is just for personal reasons and friendly kudos.

I've also been reassured that appropriate safety protocols for working in amps has been researched and are being followed.

Maybe I could have kept these last two threads to a PM circumstance in the first place, but I actually DID want this on the public forum so others with the same concerns might have resolution as well.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Oh I have the same concerns. How is it that someone who seems to not learn anything systematic manage to have a never ending volume of repairs? Who decided this was where to send things?

I have to say over th years, many guys walked into my shop asking questions, hoping they might learn enough to fix their things. And when I detect someone eager to learn something, I try my best to help them. Yes, even if I missed out on a repair job. I was not quite as helpful to someone who just wanted to skirt my bill.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

What I do not agree with is "Ok I did this. What should I do next? "
                  Clueless behavior to me is scary thing.

Comment

Okay...

"Sure, I've repaired a couple of amps."
                    "I know which end of the soldering iron to hold."
                    "I have these guys that know a lot of this stuff on a forum I subscribe to"

'clueless guitarist': "Can you fix my amp?"

Friendly kudos. We're in odd times and there's a different use of the time we have for many right now.

If there's another ten repairs next month I'll be on alert for sure. But at least it's been addressed. Maybe we can take it at face value for the moment.?.

Hope springs eternal. Jaded is a lonely place to live.

Comment

OK, but I am still waiting for the first question about how does something work. Ohms Law, voltage dividers, solder mask. Something, anything. SO far all I see is where should I put my volt meter.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                        OK, but I am still waiting for the first question about how does something work. Ohms Law, voltage dividers, solder mask. Something, anything. SO far all I see is where should I put my volt meter.
                        I agree. But not everyone is Enzo. Or even Chuck H. But it's common to find and "exploit" resources when they're offered. I've done it. So likely have you (maybe not?). The line is gray and everybody draws it where they have to. I honestly hope this is a result of pandemic housboundness and a desire for connections. In that light I hope to keep anyone from electrocuting themselves or anyone else. That said...

If there's ten new repairs next month I promise to be ruthless. Good enough?

Comment

I am not beefing you, I am venting. Sure I know a lot, I know a lot of things I don't know a lot about, and there are things I don't even know exist. I certainly have given away my share of advice. What I like to see in return is a willingness to learn something in the process. I am happy to go 250 posts with someone to get the red and green lights on an SVT-CL, if they are truly trying to learn something. 400 posts with no gain is further than I go.

If I need backup, I do not hesitate to make use of resources presented. They are no substitute for learning. The old early Gerald Weber books irked me. He went into great detail on mods for amps. Change the resistor in the corner, replace the third cap from the left. Never once discussed what the mod was actually doing. You could blackface an amp without learning anything about the circuits. To me that is a dis-service to budding techs out there.

And in case I have confused, I am not suggesting or lobbying for any action on the part of the board and its admins.

Comment

For the strain relief issue, I've been using https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002PIC00S/ for several years now. Inexpensive and does what I need it do.

Comment

I brought this up here some time ago:

https://music-electronics-forum.com/...349#post955349

FWIW: It was not meant to be disrespectful, but as a suggestion to the OP that he do some reading and actually learn something about electronics before proceeding with more repairs. It scares me a little bit that something could be incorrectly repaired and someone could be killed. I haven't seen any desire to learn anything about electronics- just a "what do I do next?" sort of thing.
                              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Working...
                              X