72 Marshall caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 72 Marshall caps

Working on a 72 Marshall 1959 . This one has 2 large metal caps right before the standby switch . They are .22 / 1Kv and dont appear to be polarized. Are these for noise suppression ? If they get leaky / dry up , will it cause hum / buzz / noise ?

http://www.kbapps.com/audio/schemati...shall/1959.php

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220524_185152.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	2.81 MB
ID:	961121

Originally posted by Valvehead View Post
    Working on a 72 Marshall 1959 . This one has 2 large metal caps right before the standby switch . They are .22 / 1Kv and dont appear to be polarized. Are these for noise suppression ? If they get leaky / dry up , will it cause hum / buzz / noise ?
    Those are film caps and don't fail the same way electrolytics do. But - they do fail with age apparently as I've seen some cracked looking and others entirely missing. My best guess is they're supposed to quench some of the buzz noise made by rectifiers as they phase between conducting & non conducting modes. Since I've seen amps lacking them function perfectly well it's apparent they are not entirely necessary. Why did Marshall install them then, they're not a cheap item. Ask Ken Bran. Maybe they were part of what was considered standard hi quality design back in the day.

FWIW Rivera places a 0.015 UF 1000V cap across high voltage secondary on their amp. I've seen several cases where that cap shorted and popped the power fuse. I replace those with a 1600V rated part, no more popped fuses. Same buzz suppression reason I suppose.

I expect we'll get a good engineering answer as to their purpose from other MEFsters very soon. 3 ... 2 . . . 1 . . . GO!

This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Those are snubber caps to help keep the standby switch from arcing when you flip it. I would leave them be.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
        Those are snubber caps to help keep the standby switch from arcing when you flip it. I would leave them be.
        ok-- thanks !

Comment

My 73 Super Lead has the same thing.

Comment

Working...
          X