Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Music Man One Thirty & Victory Kraken V4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music Man One Thirty & Victory Kraken V4?

I am building a W/D/W rig and am looking for an amp for my dry tones. I already have two 100W Hughes & Kettner Vortex Black Series solid state heads with two 4X12 cabs that will make up the stereo wet. And right after I finish writing this post I'm on my way to pick up a Victory Kraken V4 preamp pedal that will serve as both my main distortion as well as the preamp of my dry signal. My initial thought was to get an Orange Pedal Baby 100 and use that as the poweramp for this rig but after having bought the Kraken preamp I'm starting to think differently. If I've understood it correctly the Kraken allows you to hook it up through both the FX-return as well as straight into the front of your amp and can then be bypassed co pletely whenever you want, allowing you to use the preamp of whatever amp you're using instead of the Kraken. This would make it very adventageous to hook the Kraken up to an amp with sparkling clean tones. I have never played through an Orange Pedal Baby but as far as I've understood it is basically a poweramp and meant to serve as a pedal platform. Its clean sound is not really all that great and you don't really have a traditional EQ to dial it in without pedals in front of it. If anyone here disagrees with this statement please feel free to change my mind. Perhaps the clean sound of the Pedal Baby is really good?

However, I have been looking around on the used market for an amp head, somewhere between 20-100W, with an FX-loop and with sparkling clean tones and recently came across a vintage Music Man One Thirty. I have no experience with Music Man but as I've understood it they do have a fan base that swear by them, especially their clean sound. It does have a valve/tube poweramp but a solid state preamp, which is kinda' weird. Usually it's the other way around in hybrid amps. I know Leo Fender set up this company together with some other guy originally in the 70's but according to himself he didn't have anything to do with their amps. So, any thoughts? Would the Music Man One Thirty (HD) be a good pedal platform for my Kraken and does it have the sparkling clean sound that their fans claim?​

I never liked the sound of Musicman amps. There is something about them that is just ... blah. They are loud. Not sure if any of them have effects loops.
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Originally posted by loudthud View Post
      I never liked the sound of Musicman amps. There is something about them that is just ... blah. They are loud. Not sure if any of them have effects loops.
      Well, according to the owner it doesn't have qn FX-loop so it's basically useless for what I had in mind.

Comment

Working...
      X