Vintage amp recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glebert View Post
    Don't know if Ralph is going to come back and give more info, so might as well just blather on about amps, because, hey, that's what we like to do.

I think the criteria that he articulated (aesthic look, sound good, under 1k) would be very well served by any number of reissue amps...
    I think the aesthetic look and sound of a vintage amp might best be served with any of the modern repros in a tweed finish. Lots to choose from, and can widely be found in the used market (so, potentially under 1000USD). Whenever I go to a music store, I still have to inspect any tweed-covered amp to see if it's a reissue or an original, simply because of the allure.
    If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
    MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by DrGonz78 View Post
      Anyone ever come across one of these before?
      First tube Polytone I've ever seen. They didn't continue, I expect they didn't sell many.

This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Yeah Drewline had posted a copy of the schematic and it has lots of notes as well.

When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Originally posted by eschertron View Post

I think the aesthetic look and sound of a vintage amp might best be served with any of the modern repros in a tweed finish. Lots to choose from, and can widely be found in the used market (so, potentially under 1000USD).
          Some of the original Fender tweed Hot Rod series would be over 25 yrs. old now, so even qualify as 'vintage' in some circles. Just be sure to disable the 'dirt' channel.

Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
          X