Repair of Magnatone 440 Baffle Board Mounting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repair of Magnatone 440 Baffle Board Mounting

I'm working on a 1963 Magnatone 440A that has a sadly abused cabinet as you will see in the attached photos. The crappy re-covering job is a side issue for now. My main focus is determining how the baffle board was originally secured.

The wood support that helps secure the chassis has broken loose. I can see the original staples and residual glue that held it in place and it won't be a problem to re-mount it. However, when that piece is restored, I don't see anything that secures the top of the baffle board. I don't find any marks that would be evidence of additional missing parts that would have secured the top of the baffle board. The top of the baffle will still be free to move front to back about 3/4". Looking at the front cabinet view photo, you will notice that the top of the baffle board looks recessed a bit because of this looseness.

The bottom of the baffle board is held by two small cleats, one of which is missing and will not be an issue to replace. The remaining cleat is visible in photo "Mag 440 Rear_1.jpg"

I have searched out internet photos of various Magnatone 440s and similar models but have not found anything that shows or discusses the baffle board mounting design. I am wondering if there were originally screws through the side panels that are missing and the left over holes hidden by the added covering.
    The photo "Mag 440 Rear_3.jpg" shows the detail of the inside top area of the baffle board without the chassis support piece. The two screws protruding into the interior are not stock. They were added by someone trying to repair the loose chassis support board.

Does anyone have direct knowledge that they can offer to help me resolve this? Or is this design Magnatone's idea of a floating baffle board?

Thanks,
    Tom​

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mag 440 Front.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	989557 Click image for larger version

Name:	Mag 440 Rear_1.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	989558 Click image for larger version

Name:	Mag 440 Rear_2.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	989559Click image for larger version

Name:	Mag 440 Rear_3.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	2.61 MB
ID:	989560

I have the opposite problem with my Guiletti branded Magnatone project. On mine the top of the baffle is screwed to the cleat (would be behind the faceplate), but I don't know how the faceplate attaches then. Maybe I can get a screwdriver between the baffle and the faceplate.

Name:	image.png
Views:	97
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	989563

Comment

Took a closer look and on mine the faceplate definitely screws to the top after the baffle is screwed to the cleat.

Views:	70
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	989565

Comment

Originally posted by glebert View Post
        Took a closer look and on mine the faceplate definitely screws to the top after the baffle is screwed to the cleat.
        That's another mystery. Are you sure that the screw shown and the cleat are stock?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
          That's another mystery. Are you sure that the screw shown and the cleat are stock?
          I have no idea if they are stock.

Comment

I have no idea if they are stock.
            A clue would be the cleat the screws attach to. Does the wood look the same as the other wood cleats in the amp?

Comment

I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is correct, but it looks to me (from the coloration via wood aging) like there is a cleat missing in the pictures.
              Last edited by The Dude; 11-27-2023, 10:26 PM.
              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
                I would say the cleat is original as far as matching the other wood, the screws in the baffle are consistent with the other screws on the cabinet.

Views:	57
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	989618

Comment

I would say the cleat is original as far as matching the other wood, the screws in the baffle are consistent with the other screws on the cabinet.
                  Thanks Glebert. I have removed the crappy black covering job and removed the baffle board of the model 440A. Evidence shows that the top of the 440 baffle is just loosely held under the Magnatone metal strip and the bottom is held by two small cleats screwed to the bottom of the cabinet. I plan to re-assemble the cabinet per that stock construction method.

Comment

Working...
                  X