67 Bassman Hum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 67 Bassman Hum

Im betting most of you have been thru this one......

Working on a 67 Bassman --loud hum - Volumes on 0 . power tubes in but no phase inverter tube in . The back story= owner was playing and they blew a breaker during practice. Reset and turned on this amp--it went up in smoke.
    I found a shorted 6L6 and burnt screen grid 470 . I replaced the 2 470 ohm sc. grids and the 1.5k's at the sockets. new 6L6 tubes now.

Chasing the hum still , I decided to get a re-cap kit for it (electrolytics) . So all those are new---everything in the doghouse is new. Voltages look fine everywhere. Bias voltage looks good . The hum still persists.. This is with Volumes on 0 and NO phase inv tube installed .. just the 6L6 tubes

Checked all grounds . It does have a 3 wire ac cable. Bias cap and resistor are new also. Everything from the Hum pot to the tubes is good.

Im starting to suspect one of the 6 rectifiers (or more) . Checked everything in bias supply ( has the original diode still ) I cant find any resistors way out of spec .

Last thing i tried is clipping in 2 , 100 ohm resistors from pilot light ac to ground = no difference .

Any ideas ???

video---

https://youtube.com/shorts/hBA4EB5BXgI

https://www.thetubestore.com/lib/the...-Schematic.pdf

What are the voltage drops across either side of the OT primary, i.e. measured from CT (B+) to each plate?
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Valvehead View Post
      Im betting most of you have been thru this one......

Working on a 67 Bassman --loud hum - Volumes on 0 . power tubes in but no phase inverter tube in . The back story= owner was playing and they blew a breaker during practice. Reset and turned on this amp--it went up in smoke.
      I found a shorted 6L6 and burnt screen grid 470 . I replaced the 2 470 ohm sc. grids and the 1.5k's at the sockets. new 6L6 tubes now.

Chasing the hum still , I decided to get a re-cap kit for it (electrolytics) . So all those are new---everything in the doghouse is new. Voltages look fine everywhere. Bias voltage looks good . The hum still persists.. This is with Volumes on 0 and NO phase inv tube installed .. just the 6L6 tubes

Checked all grounds . It does have a 3 wire ac cable. Bias cap and resistor are new also. Everything from the Hum pot to the tubes is good.

Im starting to suspect one of the 6 rectifiers (or more) . Checked everything in bias supply ( has the original diode still ) I cant find any resistors way out of spec .

Last thing i tried is clipping in 2 , 100 ohm resistors from pilot light ac to ground = no difference .

Any ideas ???

video---

https://youtube.com/shorts/hBA4EB5BXgI

https://www.thetubestore.com/lib/the...-Schematic.pdf
      Did you lift the heater CT when you tried the 100 ohms off the pilot light?

Comment

60Hz or 120Hz? Did you replace the bias filter caps?
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_L View Post

Did you lift the heater CT when you tried the 100 ohms off the pilot light?
          no

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
            60Hz or 120Hz? Did you replace the bias filter caps?
            120 i think---check the video . bias cap new , but not the diode

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
              What are the voltage drops across either side of the OT primary, i.e. measured from CT (B+) to each plate?
              2vdc / 11mVdc

Comment

2vdc / 11mVdc
                The side with the 11mV probably has a winding short. This would explain a 120Hz output ripple/hum.
                Test the OT out of the amp.
                - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Heres the secondary =

Click image for larger version

Name:	20231212_175220.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	990248

Comment

Heres the secondary =

Click image for larger version

Name:	20231212_175220.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	990248
                    I'd say this is the primary.
                    As resistance values look good, this means that one of your power tubes is not conducting.
                    You wrote that voltages look "fine everywhere", but please measure again the screen pin voltages.
                    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Do you have a bias probe so that you could check each tube current separately?
                      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                        i do not . Ill check the current tonight though

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                          Not necessary as we have the individual voltage drops across the primary halves.
                          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

2vdc / 11mVdc
                            Swap the tubes around and see if the low value stays with the socket, or with the tube.
                            Originally posted by Enzo
                            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Ok, found something ....voltages checked again at 6l6 sockets and bias current is 27ma/18ma . I swapped many 6l6 in and out trying to get that closer .

Everything looks ok except pin 3 on one of the 6l6 sockets . When i touch the probe there my meter starts beeping like crazy and the screen goes wild ! Over voltage ?? Also , the hum gets Way louder when i touch that pin. This is with or without a tube installed .

EDIT------- This might be a clue -- it only does that with the PI tube in . If i remove the PI the voltage is normal at 463vdc . Tried different 12 at7's
                              Last edited by Valvehead; 12-13-2023, 01:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X