Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifying a vintage Ampeg B25 to a vintage Ampeg V3

Hi all,

I recently learned that the early 1970s Ampeg V3 and the B25 were very similar amps. The story is that the V3 was modified/voiced for guitar (the B25 was a bass amp).

I looked at the schematics to see the differences and I'd like to learn more about them, specifically the output/phase inverter area as it seems that it has the most significant changes between the two.

* cathode and plate on the V3: 14k + 1k and 15k, respectively (cathode and plate on the B25: 47k)
    * control grid resistors on the V3: 47k (on the B25: 100k)
    * cathode bypass cap on 12AX7 channel 1 doesn't exist on the V3
    * no NFB on the V3
    * 3M9 missing from PI in V3

Click image for larger version

Name:	tyB1E4d.png
Views:	145
Size:	732.4 KB
ID:	991178

Click image for larger version

Name:	VLLkIrq.png
Views:	97
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	991179

There are other differences in the power supply but I don't suspect that they contribute significantly in the difference in tone between the two.

I was wondering if I were to convert my B25 head to a V3 if it would then "lose the magic" when used with bass guitar? It is a nice round tone when playing bass through it.

Thoughts?​

I would say the only noticeable difference is the removal of NFB and type of speakers used. No idea who would put an 'ultra-lo' switch on a guitar amp at that time, so it just seems like a re-purposed bass amp with very little difference.
    I would try it with guitar as is, then lift the NFB and try again. If you like it better for guitar with no NFB, just put in a lift switch, and engage the NFB when you want to run bass through it.
    Assume you are planning on different speaker cabs for bass vs guitar?
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
      I would try it with guitar as is, then lift the NFB and try again. If you like it better for guitar with no NFB, just put in a lift switch, and engage the NFB when you want to run bass through it.
      For sure. Was thinking I could use the now unused polarity switch on the front panel for the lift switch (amp now has a new replacement 3-prong power cord)?

Originally posted by g1 View Post
      Assume you are planning on different speaker cabs for bass vs guitar?
      Oh yes, most definitely. Got a cab with two 16-ohm speakers wired up in parallel to use with this bad boy!

Comment

Originally posted by seven View Post
        I looked at the schematics to see the differences and I'd like to learn more about them, specifically the output/phase inverter area as it seems that it has the most significant changes between the two.
        PI differences.
        B25: 47k plate and cathode loads, plate current 3.1mA, fixed bias, 100k power tube grid stoppers.
        V-3: 15k plate and cathode loads, plate current 7.5mA, auto bias, 47k power tube grid stoppers.

Higher value grid stoppers may be needed for HF stability with global NFB.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

The grid stops on the B25 are actually 1k. I missed it too on the first look because of how the print is arranged.
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Seven,

There's something to notice about Helmholts observations. That he stipulated fixed bias for the B25 and auto bias for the V3. Just adding the 3.9M resistor to the V3 (as shown in red?) may not provide suitable bias for the circuit. Notice that the B25 also has a 1.5M resistor to ground from the PI grid. The 3.9M and 1.5M resistors form a voltage divider from the HV rail providing correct bias voltage for the PI grid.

The V3 has a 1M reference resistor from the PI cathode to the grid. The 1k/14k circuit at that cathode is also a voltage divider and provides correct bias to the PI grid.

Adding the 3.9M resistor to the V3 as shown will inject voltage at the grid AND the cathode. I didn't attempt the math to determine what sort of bias adding the 3.9M resistor as shown would be.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
              The grid stops on the B25 are actually 1k. I missed it too on the first look because of how the print is arranged.
              Well spotted.
              Unfortunately my eyes are weak.
              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

The V3 has a 1M reference resistor from the PI cathode to the grid. The 1k/14k circuit at that cathode is also a voltage divider and provides correct bias to the PI grid.
                No voltage dividing involved.
                Grid voltage is exactly the same as the voltage at the node between R25 and R31 as there's no current through R30.
                Grid bias ( more exactly Vgk = grid voltage minus cathode voltage) is the negative of the voltage drop across the 1k bias resistor.
                And yes, adding the 3.9M resistor would "spoil" center bias. Thought that was clear now.
                Last edited by Helmholtz; 12-24-2023, 07:56 PM.
                - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post

No voltage dividing involved.
                  Grid voltage is exactly the same as the voltage at the node between R25 and R31 as there's no current through R30.
                  Grid bias ( more exactly Vgk = grid voltage minus cathode voltage) is the negative of the voltage drop across the 1k bias resistor.
                  Which is why I said that it was the 1k/14k resistors in the cathode circuit (R25 and R31) are a voltage divider. Which they are as far as I can tell. I didn't intent to imply the 1M (R30) was in a voltage divider circuit.

Comment

Which is why I said that it was the 1k/14k resistors in the cathode circuit (R25 and R31) are a voltage divider. Which they are as far as I can tell. I didn't intent to imply the 1M (R30) was in a voltage divider circuit.
                    Seems I misunderstood.
                    In fact R25/R31 can be seen as a voltage divider.
                    But regarding tube bias, the value of R25 is quite insignificant as the bias voltage (Vgk) is determined by cathode current times bias resistor value (1k).
                    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Seems I misunderstood.
                      In fact R25/R31 can be seen as a voltage divider.
                      But regarding tube bias, the value of R25 is quite insignificant as the bias voltage (Vgk) is determined by cathode current times bias resistor value (1k).
                      Agreed. I almost indicated that too. The voltage standing on the cathode is dictated by Rp and Rk and the "division" of Rk is adjusted for the correct Vgk relatioship.

Comment

Bias generation via the 1k resistor works exactly the same as with a common cathode gain stage, where the grid and the lower end of the 1k bias resistor are at ground potential.
                        The drop across R25 just lifts both grid and cathode by the same voltage.
                        Last edited by Helmholtz; 12-24-2023, 11:01 PM.
                        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Bias generation via the 1k resistor works exactly the same as with a common cathode gain stage, where the grid and the lower end of the 1k bias resistor are at ground potential.
                          The drop across R25 just lifts both grid and cathode by the same voltage.
                          Yep. Steve Conner was the first to explain that to me many years ago. I was confused by the high voltage on a particular "elevated" circuit and I think his analogy was something like: "If a man is standing on a ten foot hill that doesn't mean his pants need a twelve foot 8 inch inseam."
                          Last edited by Chuck H; 12-25-2023, 03:47 AM.

Comment

A tube only sees the voltage differences between its pins.
                            It can't know which circuit point or potential the designer chose for common ground.
                            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
                            X