No announcement yet.

Partridge choke rewind in Europe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The phenomenon is called dielectric absorption. The wikipedia article is as good a place to start as anywhere.

Comment

No, it's not a battery effect. No 2 different metals in an AL cap.
      The effect is called Dielectric Absorption or Dielectric Relaxation
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dielectric_absorption
      (I love Wikipedia and use it all the time.)

Edit: Greg Robinson beat me to it.
      Last edited by Helmholtz; 03-07-2024, 03:16 PM.
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

The principle of DA can be understood by imagining a large cap having a low ESR in parallel with another cap having a very high ESR (Megohms).
        When shorted, the main cap will discharge quickly to 0V, but the other cap having a very long discharge time constant will still hold a charge.
        When the load is removed, the charged cap starts to slowly recharge the discharged one.
        Last edited by Helmholtz; 03-07-2024, 02:41 PM.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Gtr0 View Post
          I placed a 5 henry 150mA or so choke in it's place (intended for a Superlead) as a temporary fix, but the low end crackles on some semblance of a "chug" on bass heavy notes, or rather the vintage amp version of a "chug"... and so I hope it's because the choke can't handle the amount of power needed for this amp... but to be honest, I am not as educated as I'd like to be... learning by doing and reading... The B+ at the choke is usually around 560 V or so iirc.
          There are two schematics in this link thread on EL34world. If your LA60BL is similar, with the choke supplying the screens and pre stages, then 150mA rated choke should be quite sufficient. One schematic indicates 20H, so 5H may be noticeable if there is no filter cap on the screen. I'm just a bit concerned that some other collateral damage may have occurred.

Comment

Working...
          X