Reverb shield?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverb shield?

The National model 90 amp I'm working on has the reverb unit in the cabinet directly below the amp chassis. Between the two was a sheet of paper-backed foil that was connected to the chassis ground. I'm assuming this is to shield the chassis from the reverb or vice versa. Unfortunately, the thing was in such bad condition that it basically crumbled when I took it apart. So any ideas on what I can use to replace it? I'm thinking about something like that galvanized sheet metal you can get in rolls at hardware stores or maybe aluminum foil? Or is this even necessary? Anyone?
    Thanks!
    Dave

I have sticky-backed aluminium and copper tape, so I use that for shielding. It's good for doing the inside of head cabinets.

It's quite expensive stuff, though. We bought some at work for EMI shielding, and it was something like $100 a roll! If you wanted a cheaper solution you could use aluminium kitchen foil stuck to a piece of cardboard with double-sided tape. The only downside is that kitchen foil won't take solder.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Hi,
      I use either copper foils, of the kind artists use for engraving artworks, or brass foils, of the kind used to prepare shims and spacers. Thickness is around .25 mm. making them a little difficult to cut, but that's all.

I don't like kitchen aluminum foils because, as Steve says, they don't take solder, and I don't like to rely on mechanical contact alone. I cut these foils according to the shape and dimensions I need and then solder them normally. I have "Faraday cage" shielded several guitars using this method ( not to mention my 1964 AC30's back ) and I' m very satisfied with the results. I think copper tape to be great for pickups' coils shielding, though.
      Hope this helps
      Best regards
      Bob
      Hoc unum scio: me nihil scire.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions! I used

a sheet of copper I got at the local hardware store. Cut it to fit and it seems to work just fine. I appreciate the help!

Comment

I use sticky-backed aluminum HVAC tape....NOT expensive and very effective. I use these inside cabs (tolex fenders) and tweed backs.

Comment

Working...
          X