Ampeg Reverberocket II - lil' help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg Reverberocket II - lil' help

Howdy, I'm a new member. Just getting re-plugged after 15 yrs of purely acoustic music. Wanted an amp with great 50's-60's garageband, blues, etc. sound with lots of clean headroom for gigging with a full band including a drummer. Did lots of reading and finally bought a 60's era Ampeg Reverberocket II off eBay. Seller was great and swore I'd be 100% satsified with the amp, and even posted it with a 7-day return period. It came yesterday, only two days after I won it.

I installed the tubes which seemed in good shape. I turned it on and let it warm up 5-10 minutes before trying it out.

The amp sounded ok, but didn't seem terribly loud even at wide open nor did it break up much at all. And then when I clicked on the tremelo I got none or maybe only a very, very, very hint of trem. Thought footswitch might be bad but it works fine for the echo which is quite strong.

The only change the tremelo-adjustment knobs had was when I turned the "intensity" knob down the amp got noticeably louder and started breaking up (i.e., distorting).

Does anyone have any ideas? I'd rather not return it if I don't have to. Did I do something wrong installing the tubes? I mean a tube is just a tube as long as it is put into the proper socket right?

Thanks for any help possible. I'm about 3.5 hrs away from anyone that works on tube amps for a living, so if I can solve this myself it'd be great.

P.S. This seems like an excellent forum BTW.

probably not a tube issue

What tube configuration is your amp?
    There are three versions of this amp. Tell what tubes you have in it, that will tell what configuration it is.

Do you have a multimeter?

Comment

switch the 12AX7s

To confirm if its a tube issue, switch the 12AX7s and see if the condition persists.

These amps used half of one of the 12AX7s as the Tremolo driver. If you switch the 12AX7s, and the condition persists, it is most likely not a tube issue.

After this comes some amp testing, if you have never been inside a vintage amp..IT IS DANGEROUS...IT CAN FRY YOU...LIKE DEAD..

However, there are a couple of quick tests that might give you an idea of what is wrong.

Comment

Working...
      X