Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

replacing ground prong on vintage power cord?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing ground prong on vintage power cord?

hey guys, i replaced the power cord on my '70 ampeg V4 with a random 6 footer i had laying around. i did this a while ago because the ampeg's original cord, although it was a 3 prong cord, someone had pulled the ground prong out of the end of it. i really like the molded end on the amp cord how it can pinch a section of cord to hold everything in place when it's coiled up on the back of the amp. also...it's a 15 ft cord, which would be less annoying than the 6 footer i put on there. and thirdly, it's the original cord with no problems except for that missing ground prong.
    is it possible to replace the ground prong without putting a new end on? if not...know where i can get an end that has that molded section for pinching the cord when it's wrapped?
    the only picture i could find was for a 2 prong end, but this one has the molded pinch/clip thing i'm talking about for reference.
    http://images.orgill.com/200x200/6088868.jpg

I've never seen a pinch type connector for a three conductor cord. This may be becuase the conductors usually run in a spiral. There a screw on types that will work, but they won't look like a molded one.
    Now Trending: China has found a way to turn stupidity into money!

Comment

Originally posted by methodofcontrol View Post
      hey guys, i replaced the power cord on my '70 ampeg V4 with a random 6 footer i had laying around. i did this a while ago because the ampeg's original cord, although it was a 3 prong cord, someone had pulled the ground prong out of the end of it. i really like the molded end on the amp cord how it can pinch a section of cord to hold everything in place when it's coiled up on the back of the amp. also...it's a 15 ft cord, which would be less annoying than the 6 footer i put on there. and thirdly, it's the original cord with no problems except for that missing ground prong.
      is it possible to replace the ground prong without putting a new end on? if not...know where i can get an end that has that molded section for pinching the cord when it's wrapped?
      the only picture i could find was for a 2 prong end, but this one has the molded pinch/clip thing i'm talking about for reference.
      I know the type of plug you're referring to. There's one like that on my Sears (Craftsman) Shop Vacuum, (but it's not 15' long). Sears has a parts website, maybe you can find a replacement.
      "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
      - Yogi Berra

Comment

yeah...i have the same type of cord on my shopvac as well. i was considering just taking it for the V4, but then i have twice as much work to do.
        i'm totally fine with grabbing a male end from home depot. (wow....don't read too much into that last sentence. lol) but if i could find an end that has that molded clip on it, that would be ideal.

Comment

Working...
        X