Removing paint from tolex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing paint from tolex

What is the best way to remove spray paint from tolex?

no personal experience with this BUT a guy over on HC reported that using duct tape like leg wax (stick and PULL) works wonderfully. Most paints don't really bond well to oily plastic so they strip OK. Std grey duct tape should work, if it doesn't you could try gorilla tape...but that could run into serious $$

Comment

The duct tape thing has never worked for me, especially if it has been painted a long time. You also have to be careful with solvents because they may soften the tolex. I have has good results with some stuff called Graffetti Remover and a toothbrush. If it is just a band name sprayed on a vintage cab it's worth the trouble. It takes forever, but works. Some people recommend soaking a rag it and laying it over the spot for a few minutes/hours. I'd be careful with that. Also, latex, water based paint will frequently come off with soap and water and a brush. Whatever you use rinse it clean with water and dry it with a towel when you are done. I even hit it with a blow dryer just to make sure nothing got int the wood.

Comment

Acetone works well. Test on the covering first to make sure it won't attack it. Your local hardware store should have pure acetone in the paint section.
        The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

I use Zip Strip (test in a inconspicuous spot first; I've never seen this stuff harm tolex). I carefully pick off what I can with a pointed tool first.

Comment

Working...
          X