Peavey OT question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey OT question

I pulled an OT from a 1970's Peavey Classic 212 (6l6 version) donor amp and am puzzled by two extra primary wires (brown, brown/white, blue & blue/white).

Any ideas about the function of the extra two primaries?

I am guessing you might have a PV "Classic VTX series" amp. If you had a later Classic VT, they could have used the transformer with those taps and just not used them.

Those extra taps on the primary are called "ultralinear taps." They connect to the screens of the power tubes instead of connecting the screens to their own B+ supply.

I can't explain the whole thing here, look up ultralinear power amp circuits. Maybe someone has a link to a nice description.

Standard American color code for output transformers has red for the primary center tap and brown adn blue for the plate leads. the ultralinear taps have the same color as the plate leads but with a white stripe added.

You can use them or not use them. If you do not use them, make sure they are secure, because they will have B+ voltage on them while in the circuit. DOn;t want that flopping around loose.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
    X