Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with 40's lap steel field coil wiring...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with 40's lap steel field coil wiring...

Hi,

I am new to this forum... I recently purchased a 1940's lap steel amp...
    I had the field coil re-coned and they removed my newbie flags so I am
    trying to figure out the correct wiring... So here goes:

There are two leads coming off the speaker itself and three leads coming off the transformer on the speaker.

One of the leads coming off the speaker (field coil?) itself goes to pin 5 of power tube A (6V6), which is jumpered to pin 5 of power tube B... Which has a lead (see lead #2 below) that should be going to the speaker transformer.

The other goes to pin 4 of the 5Z4 metal Sylvania rectifier tube. This lead is green..

What I am having trouble with though is the wiring (3 wires) going to the speaker transformer.... Here is where the wires are coming from:

lead #1 is coming from pin 6 of power tube A (6V6)
    lead #2 is coming from pin 5 of power tube B (6V6)
    lead #3 is coming from pin 6 of power tube B

all these leads are yellow...

though the transformer has 2 yellow (left and center) and one green lead (right)...

Here's my theory... as deduced from my flag lettering (the amp stayed with me so those flags remain)... I labeled them A, B & C and believe that I labeled them left to right as is the western convention... lead #1 above is A, lead #2 is C, lead #3 is B... So if my guess is correct lead #1 or A would go to the left lead coming out of the speaker transformer... lead # 3 or B would go to the center wire coming out of the speaker transformer... and lead #2 or C would go to the right hand lead coming out of the speaker transformer (this is the green wire)...

Am I risking blowing something up if this isn't the correct configuration?

I look forward to your responses...

I can post pics (if need be where would be best?)... It is black metal the size of lunchbox with an 8" field coil speaker... No on/off switch or tone knob... Tubes are all Sylvania (preamp is a 6N7-G, Power tubes are 6V6-G and 6V6-GT (they are different shape and sizes but both 6V6), Recifier Tube is a 5Z4 (metal)... the amp worked before I pulled the speaker to have it re-coned because of dry rot...

Thanks to all...
Working...
X