1966 Ampeg Gemini I/II Speaker Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1966 Ampeg Gemini I/II Speaker Replacement

I'm new to this forum and fairly new to vintage amps. I recently bought a very modified 1966 Ampeg Gemini I/II (the chassis is from the I model- 20 watts, but the enclosure is from the II model- 15" speaker). All the preamp tubes are original, I believe, but the power tubes are 6v6's. These were put in as part of a servicing by the previous owner's guitar tech in about 1996, as the original 7591's weren't in production then. The speaker is an EVO SRO, but it is broken and buzzes at anything near a reasonable stage volume. The amp has been played little since the previous owner bought it.

So, my problem becomes: What speaker do I put in? This is my first tube amp so I really don't know what different speakers would sound like, but the main things I want from it are:
    -very clean: I want to use pedals for overdrive
    -wide frequency spread: I want to be able to play bass through this amp since its design is very similar to Ampeg's bass amps of that time (so I've been told), and at this point I want to hear the amp and not the speaker's characteristics for future reference in case I want to replace the speaker again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried a different speaker with the amp to be sure it's the speaker that is buzzing?
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I haven't tried it with another speaker, but I'm almost completely sure it's the speaker. The speaker seems to have broken at some point, and someone tried to repair it with duct tape. When you press on the cone where the tape is, the buzzing goes away.

Comment

That sounds pretty reasonable to me, LOL.
        If your going to play bass through the amp you need a speaker that won't fart out under any circumstances. So you need a bass speaker. If your only going to play bass through it occasionally and you want it to sound correct for guitar I would put a guitar speaker in and use a different cabinet for bass. Eminence has a good selection and sound clips on their site.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I won't need to play bass for it any time soon, so I guess I'll get a guitar speaker. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
          X