Magnavox Estey Model 401 - Loud Buzzing Hum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnavox Estey Model 401 - Loud Buzzing Hum

Here is the last amp in my bunch that is giving me problems (for now).

It is a little Magnavox 401 that I got a couple of years ago.
    I replaced the filter caps, the cathode caps and the coupling cap. I put in NOS tubes that are all good. I even replaced the 6" speaker with an 8" Jensen.
    The tubes are 20EZ7 preamp, UL84 power, and 36AM3B rectifier. This does have an isolation transformer.
    Since doing these repairs, it worked beautifully for a year or so but started developing a mild buzz or hum.
    I put it on my bench last week and after taking the chassis out the hum was even worse. If I plug a guitar in, the hum is nearly as loud as the guitar.
    I call it a buzzing hum because it is very unpleasant. All hums are, but this seems different from poor grounding, filter caps or others I have experienced. My ears don't seem to work well enough to identify 60 vs 120 hum.
    I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction for finding and correcting the cause here.
    I will post a schematic and a gut shot as soon as the system will allow me to, as I have tried twice but it keeps failing.

Regardless of whether or not you consider the filter capacitors new or not, you should still check the B+ nodes for excess ripple.
    To quote Enzo : Never come up with a reason to Not check something"

Comment

Here are the pics. One thing I forgot in the repairs. I did add a three prong cord.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
        Regardless of whether or not you consider the filter capacitors new or not, you should still check the B+ nodes for excess ripple.
        To quote Enzo : Never come up with a reason to Not check something"
        I can check the B+, but I don't know how to check for ripple. I'm still pretty unschooled at this. I will check the JJ can I put in and see if it is shorted or some such.

Comment

I checked the JJ can with my Eico condenser tester and it seems fine, so I desoldered all its connections and hooked up two axial caps for a test and got the same sound.

Comment

Ripple on the B+ is checked by putting your meter on Volts AC.

Comment

I will check the ripple tonight I hope. While taking out the temporary caps, I measured the 5.6K resistor that goes between the two filter caps and it has drifted (careened?) up to 7.2k ohms. Could this cause such a hum?

Comment

Okay, after real life intervened for a couple of days, I got back to my bench today.
                The readings I got are:
                With the JJ can caps - 2 x 50 uf

Pin 9 UL84 - 110.9 V DC , 121.8 V AC

Pin 7 20EZ7 - 49.4 V DC , 119.8 V AC

Pin 6 20EZ7 - 62.8 V DC , 125.1 V AC

With new (?) 47uf axial caps

Pin 9 UL84 - 109.1 V DC , 121 V AC

Pin 7 20EZ7 - 48.9 V DC, 119.9 V AC

Pin 6 20EZ7 - 63.1 V DC, 123.4 V AC

So it looks like the 20EZ7 is not receiving high enough B+, and I don't know what the ripple ( AC V) readings signify, other than all the readings are very similar for both sets of caps.

Can you help me move forward, Jazz??

Comment

With the help of a guru I have isolated the problem. Does anyone out there have a working input isolation step-up 1:3 transformer? This one is shot.

Comment

That is a scary circuit. Not mains transformer.
                    Don't believe everything you think. Beware of Rottweiler. Search engines are free.

Comment

Working...
                    X